diagnosing jeep jk vibration

LAJK

Hi guys,
Ive been experiencing some kind of vibration coming from my jeep for quite sometime now. When driving it doesn’t begin to vibrate till around 30+mph and gets worse the faster I go. At first I thought it might be my tires but the vibration doesn’t come from the steering wheel as I can feel it through out the Jeep. I then began to see if it was a drive shaft so I removed the front shaft and no luck! I drove around the block and it still was there. next I removed the rear drive shaft and drove around in 4wd and just like that it was gone. So Assuming it was the rear shaft I had it rebalanced and once it was reinstalled the vibration was back again.

Have any of you had any thing similar happen to your rig? Maybe some of you have some advice to help me solve this issue?

I own a 08’ JKUR with a 3” lift 37” ridge grapplers and Coast 1310 drive lines Front & Rear

WJCO

Meme King
Likely a yoke has excessive run-out or the rear pinion angle needs to be adjusted. Is the vehicle lifted? Also could be rear pinion bearing issue or tcase rear output bearing issue.

LAJK

Likely a yoke has excessive run-out or the rear pinion angle needs to be adjusted. Is the vehicle lifted? Also could be rear pinion bearing issue or tcase rear output bearing issue.

I just had my gears changed and when that was done they installed all new bearings aswell. Also I had my rear pinion angle adjusted and when they did that the vibration got a lot better for awhile then got worse again as time when on.

WJCO

Meme King
I just had my gears changed and when that was done they installed all new bearings aswell. Also I had my rear pinion angle adjusted and when they did that the vibration got a lot better for awhile then got worse again as time when on.

Being that it started after the gears, I'm guessing it's related to that somehow. What size gears? Also, ensure that pinion nut was torqued properly, this can be tricky because you don't want to accuse the shop if they did nothing wrong, but see if pinion yoke has any play. Was a new pinion yoke installed or did they reuse the old one?

LAJK

Being that it started after the gears, I'm guessing it's related to that somehow. What size gears? Also, ensure that pinion nut was torqued properly, this can be tricky because you don't want to accuse the shop if they did nothing wrong, but see if pinion yoke has any play. Was a new pinion yoke installed or did they reuse the old one?

It didn’t start after the gears. It’s been going on long before I got the gears done. I was just eliminating the pinion bearing as the issue.

LAJK

They reused the old pinion yoke.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hi guys,
Ive been experiencing some kind of vibration coming from my jeep for quite sometime now. When driving it doesn’t begin to vibrate till around 30+mph and gets worse the faster I go. At first I thought it might be my tires but the vibration doesn’t come from the steering wheel as I can feel it through out the Jeep. I then began to see if it was a drive shaft so I removed the front shaft and no luck! I drove around the block and it still was there. next I removed the rear drive shaft and drove around in 4wd and just like that it was gone. So Assuming it was the rear shaft I had it rebalanced and once it was reinstalled the vibration was back again.

Have any of you had any thing similar happen to your rig? Maybe some of you have some advice to help me solve this issue?

I own a 08’ JKUR with a 3” lift 37” ridge grapplers and Coast 1310 drive lines Front & Rear

Check all the u joints in your drive shaft and also that the rear output flange of your transfer case is tightly fastened.

Assuming you have a double Carden drive shift, make sure your rear pinion points up and in a straight line with the drive shaft.

WJCO

Meme King
Check all the u joints in your drive shaft and also that the rear output flange of your transfer case is tightly fastened.

Assuming you have a double Carden drive shift, make sure your rear pinion points up and in a straight line with the drive shaft.

^Yep. This.

LAJK

^Yep. This.

I will check these things tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

deezus

I had this problem. Turned out to be the rear pinion angle. Google it, it should be 1 to 2 degrees below rear DS angle. If you have an aftermarket DS you will have to eye it. What I did was call the manufacturer of my DS and he told me to adjust a little at a time. Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom