Decarb or carbon cleaning valves on these new direct injection motors

WJCO

Meme King
Anyone know of a way to clean the carbon off of these valves for preventative maintenance since the fuel injectors no longer sit above the valves in the intake manifold? I actually talked to a Chrysler tech at a dealership and he said he really hasn't seen anything yet.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Anyone know of a way to clean the carbon off of these valves for preventative maintenance since the fuel injectors no longer sit above the valves in the intake manifold? I actually talked to a Chrysler tech at a dealership and he said he really hasn't seen anything yet.
At work I do a cleaning thru the throttle body. Have the Rpm’s up around 2k and it atomizes the cleaner into the engine. I can text you pics tomorrow at work

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I texted WJCO the info but figured I would post the info for everyone else as well.

410E0088-B121-47F7-9A07-06027347F8F5.jpeg 954801C6-2751-4139-8F50-E080EE62F1CC.jpeg
This is the one cleaner and the atomizer we use. It helps destroy the carbon build up. If you have a cold start misfire or random misfire at idle this process will help.

Get the engine hot (operating temp), shut it off, install the atomizer with the fluid directly in front of throttle body, start engine and bring up to 1750-2k, turn atomizer on and let run (15-20 mins to use all the fluid), close atomizer, shut engine off and let it soak for about 30 mins, take on test drive and beat on it. You will see it blow tons of smoke out the tailpipe. Will most likely misfire while doing this. Change engine oil after all done.

WJCO

Meme King
I texted WJCO the info but figured I would post the info for everyone else as well.

This is the one cleaner and the atomizer we use. It helps destroy the carbon build up. If you have a cold start misfire or random misfire at idle this process will help.

Get the engine hot (operating temp), shut it off, install the atomizer with the fluid directly in front of throttle body, start engine and bring up to 1750-2k, turn atomizer on and let run (15-20 mins to use all the fluid), close atomizer, shut engine off and let it soak for about 30 mins, take on test drive and beat on it. You will see it blow tons of smoke out the tailpipe. Will most likely misfire while doing this. Change engine oil after all done.
Thanks for doing this. I've got 30k on the JT. In your opinion with what you see on other DI motors, would now be the time to do it or wait?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for doing this. I've got 30k on the JT. In your opinion with what you see on other DI motors, would now be the time to do it or wait?
Anytime!

depends on driving habits and fuel used. If your using a top tier detergent fuel most of the time and you do longer drives then I would say you can hold off for a while. If it’s all short trips and your using a non top tier fuel then doing this now wouldn’t hurt.

All in all it doesn’t hurt either way. I usually start recommending this service around 50-60k

jeeeep

Hooked
I did this using a BG44 kit on the JK at 80k miles, same instructions that cozdude provided. The can had a straw setup that fit onto the throttle body, it was pretty wanky but it seemed to got the job done.

My neighbor suggested I pour it slowly in to the brake booster hose while it's running then after a few minutes poor a bit more in but shut it down and let it soak for 10 minutes. I didn't have the confidence to go that far.

how much pressure does the cleaning kit require? is it air hose?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I did this using a BG44 kit on the JK at 80k miles, same instructions that cozdude provided. The can had a straw setup that fit onto the throttle body, it was pretty wanky but it seemed to got the job done.

My neighbor suggested I pour it slowly in to the brake booster hose while it's running then after a few minutes poor a bit more in but shut it down and let it soak for 10 minutes. I didn't have the confidence to go that far.

how much pressure does the cleaning kit require? is it air hose?
I have done it that way you mentioned but you really need another person to hold the engine rpm up so it doesn’t stall. I would still use the whole can and slowly let the engine ingest it, then let it sit for an hour or so to really break the carbon down.

my shop has two massive compressors and the lines are limited to 150psi I believe. The atomizer has a psi regulator on it tho to knock it down to around 40ish psi

Top Bottom