Dealership or tow-truck problems

Sgt_USMC

Anyone ever have the dealership or tow-truck driver wipe off a leak? Just happened to me!

Last edited:

Sgt_USMC

I had a pretty good oil leak at the back of the motor. It left a basketball sized pool where I park.

Last edited:

Sgt_USMC

I had some work done to cure a ticking right at the back of the oil pan a few weeks and 174 miles ago. I hadn't driven it since the 12th because I was using the wife's liberty. This past thursday I went out front to have a smoke and noticed the basketball sized puddle under my baby so I got under and took a look. There was oil all over the back of the oil pan and the front of the tranny. I made an appointment that day for yesterday. I get it towed in to be safe. Heard nothing yesterday, but just left it alone. Stopped by this morning and they said a couple of hours. I called at noon and the service advisor said there was nothing. So I ask if I can show he and the tech where it was. So I go and the tech and I crawl under and it was all wiped clean! Even the tech said it looked like it was wiped off, thankfully who ever did it missed the entire tranny pan! It was still soaked!

Sgt_USMC

Thankfully the tech was the one that worked on it before and he agreed that there is a leak, but can't hunt it down without knowing where it came from.so now I have to wait for another couple of days at least, and that is hoping that it leaks still.

(Sorry for the ramble of a post)

holliewood61

Just quit smoking then you wont notice these things. When i did mechanic work and was tasked with diagnosing a leak, the first thing i would do is thoroughly clean the area in an effort to pinpoint the origin of said leak. When its everything is oily its hard to tell where its coming from. My bet is that it was a stupid issue or an oversight by the original mechanic, so they fixed it real quick and told you there wasnt an issue to avoid taking responsibility.

thardy

Banned
I would highly doubt that the tow truck driver wiped anything off. Based on what you're saying, I would guess that someone at the dealership wiped it down to see if they could get it to do it again and just didn't wipe the trans off. Sounds like they're taking care of you though.

Sgt_USMC

That's funny, my doctor has been telling me that for years!

I was a tech too, and I was the same way. I keep my jeep pretty clean and was very proud of the fact that it didn't leak (as I hear of so many that do). We could both see where it was wet from the leak had made the metal a different color verses the other areas that didn't get touched by the leak, but he said he can't find it since there is nothing left to trace. He said it may be the rear main, but didn't want to just throw parts at it (there was a little seepage from there but not enough to cause the amount I saw). So he said I could leave it there for a few days and see if it leaks again.

Sgt_USMC

The tech was really cool and they are taking care of it, but the tech said he didn't wipe anything off. Just blows my mind that this happened! I was taught to follow the leak up to the source, fix it, then wipe everything down.

Sgt_USMC

They didn't offer that. It was either take it or leave it there. I am fine with leaving it. Like I said it just blew my mind!

Top Bottom