Damage from being rear ended?

ski313

Hello all! Looking for a bit of advice. About 3 months ago, I was rear ended while stopped at a light in my 2015 JK with 35 inch tires. I felt the hit, but the car went under my tow hitch and lifted the jeep up a bit. We pulled over and my jeep Had only minimal damage noted on
the hitch and seemed ok. We exchanged info and off we went. I didn’t file a claim. Fast forward 3 months and I take it in for an oil change and they say the axle seal is leaking, then they find chunks of metal in the differential and recommend a new rear end/ differential or a rebuild. Jeep has 50,000 miles or so. Could the rear ending have caused the damage and should I try to file a late claim or was it more likely the weight of 35’s? Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it is very possible that the collision cause a tooth to chip and not addressing it sooner most likely caused other damage inside your differential. If it's still possible to file a claim, I would. Depending on what shop you use to do the work, you might be looking at upwards of a $1k. 35's alone will NOT cause this.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom