D44 Rubi Upgrade Axle for a 2012 Sport

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Ok, I need some straight talk on if I should replace my inner axle seals.

Background:
I am upgrading a set of Rubi axles for my 2012 Sport 2 Door.
So far, I have: 1) replaced the axle shaft u-joints; 2) welded on gussets and control arm skids; 3) purchased new unit bearings; 4) inspected the gears and made sure the locker is functioning; 5) purchased locker wiring for front and rear; 6) painted everything in about 6 layers of black gloss enamel paint; 7) purchased new Core 4x4 Tier 4 control arms; 8) purchased new 1310 driveshafts; 9) cleaned up and painted the ARB covers that came with the axles; and 10) purchased a Yeti drag link to go with the Synergy tie rod that came with the axles. I am currently working on upgrading the brakes before installing with a 2.5" lift and Fox shocks.

The one thing that has been nagging me is if I should replace the inner axle seals. I have not removed the gears and carrier etc. from the axle, but the original inner axle seals seem good as they were not leaking before and only have around 15k miles on them. I have new National Seals that I could install and I have watched a ton of video's and read a ton of articles on inner axle replacement but am still feeling a little trepidation on removing all the components necessary for their replacement and am worried that I will mess something up either totally or with the seals when I install them only to result in the new seals leaking when the old seals did not.

What say you fine Jeepers of Wayalife? Do I just need to man up and replace them?

Thanks!

Scott

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I LOVE these responses! LOL

Truly, it is mostly my fear that I will break something that is not currently a problem and then have to disassemble the axle all over again. Perfect, I will get a good lube locker gasket and reassemble the front axle before switching to the rear (e.g., shock skids, new Revolution shafts, big brakes, and paint).

WJCO

Meme King
I LOVE these responses! LOL

Truly, it is mostly my fear that I will break something that is not currently a problem and then have to disassemble the axle all over again. Perfect, I will get a good lube locker gasket and reassemble the front axle before switching to the rear (e.g., shock skids, new Revolution shafts, big brakes, and paint).
Maybe I missed it in your first post, but I didn't realize you were taking apart anything in the differentials? I thought you were just doing the axle shafts? I saw that you had locker wiring but it sounds like you already had a locker in because you had made sure it worked?

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Good clarification, Sir! I have only removed the axle shafts and cover but not the gears/carrier etc. I tested the locker by just connecting it to power and watching if the locker moved while I have the cover off. It is the factory Rubi locker. I have ZERO experience with lockers before as is probably obvious! LOL

My goal has been to just mildly build up the axles (i.e., gussets and skids) and refurbish all parts that I would not want to have to do while under the Jeep. (Hopefully) well into the future I will upgrade to Dynatrac axles; so I am not wanting to go TOO crazy in what I am doing for these axles.

WJCO

Meme King
Good clarification, Sir! I have only removed the axle shafts and cover but not the gears/carrier etc. I tested the locker by just connecting it to power and watching if the locker moved while I have the cover off. It is the factory Rubi locker. I have ZERO experience with lockers before as is probably obvious! LOL

My goal has been to just mildly build up the axles (i.e., gussets and skids) and refurbish all parts that I would not want to have to do while under the Jeep. (Hopefully) well into the future I will upgrade to Dynatrac axles; so I am not wanting to go TOO crazy in what I am doing for these axles.
If you won't be removing the locker at all, I wouldn't worry about the axle seals myself. That's just me.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Unless they are leaking I would not replace them. I think I read that you removed the shafts. Have you refilled the pumpkin with gear oil after reinstalling the shafts and the diff cover? I ask because it’s not uncommon for intact seals to start leaking after shafts are removed and reinstalled, because the seals can get damaged in the process.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Currently, the axle is completely disassembled except for the gears and carrier. Last night I cleaned the old gasket material off of the pumpkin housing. Up next is complete reassembly. Once reassembled completely except for the brakes and filled with oil, I will be doing some severe tilting of the axle to see if I can make it leak - something I had not thought of doing until your comment. I intend to retain the axle shaft indexing rings when I reinstall to try to avoid damaging the seals when reinstalling the axle. I was very careful to support the axle shafts during removal in an attempt to protect the seals, but we will see... Thank you for your comment!

Top Bottom