Control arm upgrade. Long arms perhaps?

It’s nearing that time where I start planning upgrades for the following year. I’m thinking long arms are in the future but I’d like some feedback. Happy with my overall setup in terms of ride and suspension travel but, I also don’t know what I don’t know. Currently running all factory arms with the exception of longer, non adjustable front lowers. Roughly 3.5-3.75” of lift and 37’s blah blah blah. My control arms are starting to show some wear in the bushings and to be honest I’d like some adjustability. Is spending $3k worth it to get some EVO high clearance long arms or just sticking with their 8 adjustable short arms.

Don’t need shocks or springs as I’m happy with where they are at. Coilovers May or may not be in the future but they aren’t really something I’m giving a lot of thought to.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
If you have the cash I would do the long arms. But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jesse3638

Hooked
Just do it. I knew I'd want them down the road that's why I installed them from the beginning..haha. Unfortunately i cannot compare them to being lifted on stock or short arms. I've been really happy with them aside from the rear brackets that can catch. They are similar to EVO's non-high clearance brackets.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’d do it, well did it, and it’s well worth it.

Definitely go to the high clearance mounts though. That’s my only complaint with mine.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Just do it. I knew I'd want them down the road that's why I installed them from the beginning..haha. Unfortunately i cannot compare them to being lifted on stock or short arms. I've been really happy with them aside from the rear brackets that can catch. They are similar to EVO's non-high clearance brackets.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’d do it, well did it, and it’s well worth it.

Definitely go to the high clearance mounts though. That’s my only complaint with mine.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yeah if I do it I’ll for sure get the high clearance. I know Don (Clearskies) just went full bore long arms and coilovers. Looking forward to getting some time with his rig next chance we connect.

Exodus 4x4

Yeah if I do it I’ll for sure get the high clearance. I know Don (Clearskies) just went full bore long arms and coilovers. Looking forward to getting some time with his rig next chance we connect.

High clearance is the only way to go. When you take into account all the labor it takes to do any long arm install, it’s worth going a little further.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
High clearance is the only way to go. When you take into account all the labor it takes to do any long arm install, it’s worth going a little further.

Ugh, I wish I would have listened to you a couple years ago about that. But at the time just getting the LA kits was all that I could do.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I'm sure you'll really enjoy them but whether or not it's worth the money you have to decide... And you'll be able to try mine when we get together.

You know.. WTH.. Just DO IT!!!:rock:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I’ll move to the high clearance arms eventually, but the regular kit doesn’t bother me too much. I’ve gotten hung up a couple times, but it really hasn’t been a big issue. If I was on anything less than 40’s I would probably hate not having the high clearance.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ll move to the high clearance arms eventually, but the regular kit doesn’t bother me too much. I’ve gotten hung up a couple times, but it really hasn’t been a big issue. If I was on anything less than 40’s I would probably hate not having the high clearance.

Yup, 40s make all the difference

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

BrownBear

Okay! i Just want to jump in here:
YES!! long arm

That said, which one? and can it be upgraded a little at a time or just go whole hog?..meaning coil overs and lift
Who else does a good long arm besides EVO?

Last edited:

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Definately worth it. The feel on the road is notably improved as well as offroad. More articulation on the rocks is a plus as well.

YES!! long arm

That said, which one? and can it be upgraded a little at a time or just go whole hog?..meaning coil overs and lift

Yeah I’ve made up my mind on the long arms for sure. And the EVO high clearance is the only one I’m considering. As far as I’m concerned nobody does high clearance long arms like EVO and with being able to adjust length on the vehicle without having to remove one end is a major selling point. I have no doubts there are other good kits out there, but I don’t want good, I want the best.

wjtstudios

Hooked
YES!! long arm

EVO is by far the best out there, I wouldn’t do anything else. Make sure you get the high clearance kit.

No, you don’t need to go whole hog. The kit can be installed with stock springs and shocks, but it will reduce ground clearance a bit at the mounts. If you are not lifting the Jeep yet, most definitely get the high clearance kit. The rear LCA mount on the standard kit hangs really low where it is even a problem on 37s.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TheGrendel

In hindsight, I would have gone with Evo’s high clearance long arm straight away. My goal is to try and hold out until 2021. Lol

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Has anybody had any issues with their rear upper brackets or the the joint inserts coming loose? Was talking with a buddy who was having some serious issues. Cracked his upper mount in the rear and then proceeded to tell me about another guy having issues with the lower slot joint not pinching enough and working loose? All hear say and I take it with a grain of salt but curious as I’m on the fence about going this route as well.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Has anybody had any issues with their rear upper brackets or the the joint inserts coming loose? Was talking with a buddy who was having some serious issues. Cracked his upper mount in the rear and then proceeded to tell me about another guy having issues with the lower slot joint not pinching enough and working loose? All hear say and I take it with a grain of salt but curious as I’m on the fence about going this route as well.

Shouldn’t have any issues with anything working loose if you weld them on...

Ddays

Hooked

No issues with mine at all either. Had one bolt work loose but that was my fault for not checking. Otherwise, these brackets are pretty heavy duty stuff. Nothings unbreakable, but I'd love to see pics of his issues.

Top Bottom