Cold air intake?

LAJK

Is a cold air intake worth the money for my 3.8l or should I save the couple hundred bucks and spend it else where on my build?

J

JKDream

Is a cold air intake worth the money for my 3.8l or should I save the couple hundred bucks and spend it else where on my build?
Save the money. Cold air intakes provide no real benefit over the factory box. If you do any water crossings where you wheel - you are a lot more supseptible to hydro locking your motor. Id buy a reusable filter and call it a day.

RacerX10

My 08 JKU had one on it when I bought it. Took it off, put the stock air box back on and I'm going to sell the CAI for whatever I can get out of it.

TRLJNKY

Had one on my wifes Jeep when I bought it. Swapped it over to mine and gave her my factory setup. Ran like that for about a year. After reading the negatives and the minimal if at best gains I swapped them back. Her Jeep is a pavement princess so I dont have to worry about water crossings or excessive dust. I was not impressed at all with CAI on the 3.8. If I could find a cheap factory setup Id swap my wifes over and toss the CAI in The garbage.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

LAJK

Thanks for the info. I read a lot of complaints about them and thought I'd double check before I spent the money. What's everyone's take on a exhaust? I was torn between an air intake and an exhaust so looks like that's what I'll be buying.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
What reusable air filter is everyone using? One that gets oiled like K&N?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have K&N for about two years now, both under hood and in the cab. Filter in the cab get dirty really fast.
They work fine, no added benefit I don't think, other than you don't have to buy factory filters anymore. Cleaned them once or twice so far.

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

TRLJNKY

Thanks for the info. I read a lot of complaints about them and thought I'd double check before I spent the money. What's everyone's take on a exhaust? I was torn between an air intake and an exhaust so looks like that's what I'll be buying.
Im running a flowmaster setup in mine and have been happy with it. My wifes is bone stock exhaust. I like how I dont have the muffler hanging out at the back of the rig. I feel mine has a lil different feel and a very noticeable sound. Sometimes Ill get a little monotonous resonation while hwy driving but I just turn up the stereo. I laugh driving hers because I call it the Cadillac with how quite it is compared to mine.
What reusable air filter is everyone using? One that gets oiled like K&N?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app
Im back to running just regular stock filters in mine. Im sick of having to clean and oil them. My wife still is running the Air Raid CAI that I have to maintain. One day Ill find someone getting rid of their factory airbox and fix that problem

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

As everyone has mentioned they are pretty much a waste. They do "look cool" and sound cool but that's about it. I did like mine for the almost 2 years I ran it but traded with sheaffadelic so I could go back for a stock air box.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would strongly discourage anyone from running a CAI. On top of doing a whole lot of nothing, they let way too much dirt in and I have seen way too many motors ruined from them, especially on 3.6L and even with a dealer installed Mopar CAI. Just ask ttfhell here on the forum how that all worked out for him.

Top Bottom