Check Engine

mjr11

I have a 2014 JKU automatic with 80,000 miles and got my 1st check engine light last week. It was solid (not blinking) and it disabled overdrive. It seemed to be running fine prior to the light and seemed fine while it was lit other than not shifting into 5th. I disconnected then reconnected the battery and the light went out for a week and acted normal. The light is back on and overdrive is disabled again. Does the check engine automatically do that to the transmission or would this be specific to the problem at hand? I do not have a scan tool. Thanks in advance.

JT@623

Hooked
You can swing by a local parts store they will usually scan it for free . Or harbor freight sells a decent scan tool for cheap. I bought the harbor freight Z13 it’s saved me a lot of headaches.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Like he said, any parts store will scan and usually for free. I have the Blue Driver scan tool and it works well and it wasn’t too expensive.

I have a 2014 JKU automatic with 80,000 miles and got my 1st check engine light last week. It was solid (not blinking) and it disabled overdrive. It seemed to be running fine prior to the light and seemed fine while it was lit other than not shifting into 5th. I disconnected then reconnected the battery and the light went out for a week and acted normal. The light is back on and overdrive is disabled again. Does the check engine automatically do that to the transmission or would this be specific to the problem at hand? I do not have a scan tool. Thanks in advance.
Mjk11… I have a 2013 JKUR automatic with 80,800 miles and the same check engine light came on about 4 weeks ago after going into limp mode after a hard acceleration ( which happened about a year ago also out on an overland type trip in rural Utah and per the owner manual says that it could be bad gas/water in gas. Which was possible where I was at. After a few bottles of gas treatment, and a tank of premium gas, it went away.). Thinking it was the same, and after four bottles of gas treatment and another tank of premium, it again went away for a week but then again…limp mode quick cut out and light on and wouldn‘t go out.
Then last week the tranny started to shift differently and wouldn’t go into overdrive ( no more ECO light on the dash).
I couldn’t figure it out myself so I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer for service….. WOW…. Per the very knowledgable service rep and the mechanic the problem is a bad ENGINE oil pump…. Yes engine oil pump. They said the management computer makes tranny shifting and engine running decisions base on engine oil pressure!! And this was in the scan coding.
But after 1600 dollars (1100 oil pump, 500 more added by me of tranny flush service and coolant service) it RUNS like a new Jeep And no regrets for having them do it. Note: oil pump change isn’t what one can do on their own as part of the 1100 dollars is a new CPU flash update to accept the new pump into the computer. You might check into it on yours.

Top Bottom