Centerforce Clutches

cinnur

Hello All,

As my 2019 JL Sport manual transmission of sometimes full four wheel drive joy accumulates mileage I am wondering what to do about the clutch. I have not liked the clutch on my JL since I have purchased it. Even after purchasing it in 2019, I am still trying to master the use to it, and I am still deciding what to do after the clutch has completed service. I find the JL clutch much too soft! To be clear, I have driven a manual most of my life, and as mentioned I still find the JL clutch annoying, especially when I compare it to my strengthen your leg muscle clutch leg of my much older Mustang!

So I have been reviewing the Centerforce clutches and they seem to hold a positive spin in my limited efforts to seek and aquire knowledge.
Centerforce currently has two JL options, and I am wondering what those with much more experienced users of that product think of their products, customer support, and more so the specific offerings they have for the JL and their longetivity?

A link to display with what I have found,

If you have another viable choice, please list and tell me why?
Thank you all for your replies!

Have Fun,
Sean

onlyone

I had them in my big block fairlane and mustangs. They we’re good back then. I’m sure they are still a good unit.

GP NOIR

Hooked
A Dual Friction clutch pack was installed in my 2012 3.6 Rubicon almost a year ago. It’s been trouble free. Clutch pedal is light and engagement is smooth. Centerforce made changes to the throw out bearings and bearing retainer to reduce the rattling so common in the OEM JK assembly. (I don’t know if the JL has the same problem.)

The Dual Force has held up to rock crawling, sand, mud, snow and everyday driving. I don’t slip the clutch to keep it from bogging and dying. If the engine dies, I usually restart the engine with the clutch engaged.

Driving with the Dual Friction is easy and engagement is positive with no slippage.

I had a Centerforce II in my lifted 4.0 Cherokee. My experience with that clutch was also positive.

cinnur

A Dual Friction clutch pack was installed in my 2012 3.6 Rubicon almost a year ago. It’s been trouble free. Clutch pedal is light and engagement is smooth. Centerforce made changes to the throw out bearings and bearing retainer to reduce the rattling so common in the OEM JK assembly. (I don’t know if the JL has the same problem.)

The Dual Force has held up to rock crawling, sand, mud, snow and everyday driving. I don’t slip the clutch to keep it from bogging and dying. If the engine dies, I usually restart the engine with the clutch engaged.

Driving with the Dual Friction is easy and engagement is positive with no slippage.

I had a Centerforce II in my lifted 4.0 Cherokee. My experience with that clutch was also positive.

cinnur

So I had the Mopar recall for the clutch fix installed some time ago. I also have a snow plow attachment onto my JL but it still at times will display a message that the clutch is getting warm and should be left to cool.
These last few days have kept the snow plowing busy!
Might anyone here be able to clarify if I went with the Centerforce clutch it would clear this error notice away?

Have Fun,
Sean

WJCO

Meme King
Snow plowing adds a decent amount of stress on a vehicle. If it were me, I would just let it cool down and try again. If you add a stronger clutch, the stress is just going to be transferred elsewhere.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So I had the Mopar recall for the clutch fix installed some time ago. I also have a snow plow attachment onto my JL but it still at times will display a message that the clutch is getting warm and should be left to cool.
These last few days have kept the snow plowing busy!
Might anyone here be able to clarify if I went with the Centerforce clutch it would clear this error notice away?

Have Fun,
Sean
I would buy a beater truck to plow with. Not a $50k new car.

cinnur

I would buy a beater truck to plow with. Not a $50k new car.
I have seen in person, and much more so many online, including the Wayalife administrators here try to bend and break their vehicles over some rock mound or anything else they can find.
To me, having the vehicle just push some snow piles around seems like a lesser task. My two door JL is great at this task and is so maneuverable in the enclosed area I need her to operate.
As soon as I can swing it, I will improve the clutch to Centerforce, and go with the dual friction clutch GP Noir commented.

WJCO

Meme King
I have seen in person, and much more so many online, including the Wayalife administrators here try to bend and break their vehicles over some rock mound or anything else they can find.
To me, having the vehicle just push some snow piles around seems like a lesser task. My two door JL is great at this task and is so maneuverable in the enclosed area I need her to operate.
As soon as I can swing it, I will improve the clutch to Centerforce, and go with the dual friction clutch GP Noir commented.
With good lines, even on hard obstacles, the Jeep rolls along. And at any point you are stuck, you can stop, reverse, and try again.

When pushing heavy wet snow, you are literally putting constant stress on the power train over and over.

I don't see the two events as the same.

cinnur

With good lines, even on hard obstacles, the Jeep rolls along. And at any point you are stuck, you can stop, reverse, and try again.

When pushing heavy wet snow, you are literally putting constant stress on the power train over and over.

I don't see the two events as the same.
Well, even in a snow push situation, if stuck, stop, reverse, or try again is needed, I can adjust for that situation.
But I can see your point about putting some possible additional stress on the vehicle. But would not trying to bend or break your vehicle on some mound also add to the stress level?

cinnur

I've never tried to bend or break my vehicle, so not sure.
Neither am I, but it happens when putting any vehicle to any extra stress when not simply trying to get from here to there without crawling over something unnecessarily!

Top Bottom