CB & Antenna Questions

Hack12

Finally got my CB and Antenna installed and have no clue where to begin getting it to work properly. That's where you guys come in hopefully!

I have a Uniden Pro 520 w/ an Astatic powered mic and a 3' Firestik antenna mounted on the back of my tub next to my tail lamp.

Any suggestions you guys can offer about CB radio settings, antenna tuning, and grounding (if necessary) would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! I am as green as they come when it comes to CB's!

Thanks guys!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391202041.382504.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391202047.062829.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391202053.780191.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391202062.398661.jpg

Charlie Mike

#1 reason for CB problems is improper grounding. I'd say check for grounding issues first, then tune your radio.

First, use a multimeter and set it to continuity mode. Touch one lead to the antenna spring and the other lead to your antenna mounting bracket. If you get a beep from your meter, bad. No beep, good! I see you installed the nylon washer correctly, but if you still get a beep, it's probably because the threads that feed though the hole on your mounting bracket are making contact with the bracket. I had that issue and just added some heat shrink just long enough to cover the threads so they cannot make contact with the bracket.

Once you test for the above and everything checks out good, next step is to check for continuity from your mounting bracket to a solid ground point. Touch one lead to your mounting bracket or the metal part of your coax connector, and the other lead to a good ground point like your frame or maybe the striker latch for the tailgate. This time it's opposite...If you get a solid beep on you meter, good. No beep, bad.

Once both of the above check out, it's time to tune your antenna. Then you're good to go! Good Luck! :beer:

JKWrang

Looks sick! I was gonna do the same install but got swayed against it. Still, proper grounding is 90% of the problems with any CB so do it right and you should be crystal clear. The JK is super easy to get clarity with especially with a soft top. Also watch your whip mount. Some tend to rust but clean up easily.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Instead if grinding the paint away you can run a separate wire for the ground.

Sent from my fRuit device using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Instead if grinding the paint away you can run a separate wire for the ground.

Sent from my fRuit device using WAYALIFE mobile app

From the mount inside since its drilled into the body. Would resist corrosion and last longer.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Hack12

#1 reason for CB problems is improper grounding. I'd say check for grounding issues first, then tune your radio.

First, use a multimeter and set it to continuity mode. Touch one lead to the antenna spring and the other lead to your antenna mounting bracket. If you get a beep from your meter, bad. No beep, good! I see you installed the nylon washer correctly, but if you still get a beep, it's probably because the threads that feed though the hole on your mounting bracket are making contact with the bracket. I had that issue and just added some heat shrink just long enough to cover the threads so they cannot make contact with the bracket.

Once you test for the above and everything checks out good, next step is to check for continuity from your mounting bracket to a solid ground point. Touch one lead to your mounting bracket or the metal part of your coax connector, and the other lead to a good ground point like your frame or maybe the striker latch for the tailgate. This time it's opposite...If you get a solid beep on you meter, good. No beep, bad.

Once both of the above check out, it's time to tune your antenna. Then you're good to go! Good Luck! :beer:

Thanks a million for this explanation. Just went out and tested everything per your instructions and it seems to be grounded perfectly. I got no beep when touching the spring and mounting bracket and I was able to get a solid beep when touching the mounting bracket and the tailgate striker latch. Now that I am no longer worried about it being properly grounded, time to move on to tuning with my new SWR meter and figuring out how the heck to adjust the settings on my actual radio. Also, not sure how high I should have the volume set on my powered mic.
302-10036_600w_600h.jpg pro520xlg_large.jpg

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
Also, not sure how high I should have the volume set on my powered mic.

Since they are annoying ass shit to everyone else listening.... I would say as low as possible.....

Realistically when you gather with others park close to someone and talk into it. you will hear it and adjust

Hack12

Since they are annoying ass shit to everyone else listening.... I would say as low as possible.....

Realistically when you gather with others park close to someone and talk into it. you will hear it and adjust

I figured that. I only bought the powered mic to enhance the PA function. I'll just give it a test once it's all tuned in.

Hack12

Alrighty, so after establishing that I had a good ground, I just got done tweaking my SWR. I was able to get a 1.7 on channels 1 & 40 and a 1.3-4 on channel 19. I fiddled with it for about a half an hour. I'm not looking for range as much as I am quality for shorter trail riding scenarios. Any feedback is welcome.

jeeeep

Hooked
I don't have anything on my connectors- is that electrical tape? if so, it'll come off pretty quick

Hack12

It is a thick electrical tape stretched around the connectors in two layers. Someone suggested this as a means to keep it from rusting.

Top Bottom