Bumper w/ winch and Blue Ox base plate

pacificshore

In installed a Blue Ox base plate on our 2023 Wranger JL Rubicon so we could tow behind our RV. I want to replace the stock plastic bumper so I can mount a winch. I'm considering a Barricade Alloy Series Aluminum bumper (to minimize the front end sagging) or Rugged Ridge Arcus. Does anyone here have a recommended bumper that works with the Blue Ox base plate? I think as long as the winch plate mounts between the frame rails, and the bumper doesn't extend below the bumper mounts by more than the stock bumper, I should be OK. Any guidance is appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It'd be hard to say for sure how your base plate will work with other bumpers but I think your assumption is probably correct. So long as what you end up getting is installed similarly or the same as a factory bumper, I would think it should work fine or with minimal modifications to it.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
Not 100% sure but I think a lot of aftermarket bumpers don't need the base plate to flat tow. Instead the tow bars connect to the recovery points.

EVO 1/4 pounder bumper says something about towing and so does genright

Couldn't get a picture of the EVO but here is Genright:
JL-Flat-Tow-FBB-Web-2__67347.jpg

Upvote 0

duktrx

Not 100% sure but I think a lot of aftermarket bumpers don't need the base plate to flat tow. Instead the tow bars connect to the recovery points.

EVO 1/4 pounder bumper says something about towing and so does genright

Couldn't get a picture of the EVO but here is Genright:
View attachment 388377
What CalSgt suggests is the best option; it won't compromise the approach angle. For the adapters needed to go from your Blue Ox towbar to the D-rings, look on eTrailer.

Upvote 0

pacificshore

Thank you all. I wasn’t sure about the bumpers with D rings and adapters because I saw something online that warned they weren’t a strong enough attachment point for towing. Of course, opinions are everywhere on the internet, and I trust the real world information here more.

Upvote 0

duktrx

Thank you all. I wasn’t sure about the bumpers with D rings and adapters because I saw something online that warned they weren’t a strong enough attachment point for towing. Of course, opinions are everywhere on the internet, and I trust the real world information here more.
Not all D-rings are created equal; you want a bumper where the D-rings attach to the frame horns.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom