Black Boxes Are Coming

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty sure my new '13 WK2 Grand Cherokee has one of these black boxes in it. I was reading about it somewhere else when I was researching before buying it.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ok question on this topic,

Ok so if its used just for the purpose of determining a accident thats great, but how much data is it going to hold onto / store? For us Jeep owners that could back fire on us. If it holds say 3 months worth of data at a time and while we are up on the trails and it records every rock hit to the bumpers or anything else or so forth, whos to say that when the data is gone over after lets say a fender bender or other simple accident who is to stop the insurance company from saying that the damage wasnt done by the accident but happened while up on the trail? and refuse to pay for repairs?:thinking::thinking::idontknow:

Well good sir, I can assure you there is no way to tell if a rock damaged your bumper through a black box, it's not that sophisticated. I can tell speeds at time of air bag deployment and speed profiles up to 30 seconds prior to a collision. Doesn't track gps movements, gas in your tank or how many people are in your Jeep.

Indefatigable

Black boxes have been in use for a long time in commercial transport.

I think it is a no brainer that it has made commercial transport (planes, boats etc) safer. Helped address what went wrong, why it went wrong and led to changes to address safety equipment, procedures and training.

Just some quick Google search numbers:
Over 30 000 Americans are killed each year in motor vehicle collisions. The number injured staggering. 6 Million motor vehicle collisions each year in the US. There are about 250 million vehicles in the US.

Imagine applying the commercial transport safety methodology to the amateur drivers and their vehicles.

I know a traffic officer. His tag line goes... " Have you ever met someone who said they were a below average driver?"

Black boxes are not a pro-active response to equipment manufacture and driving skill. It is the response to product failure, training failure and poor driver skills and habits.

Dustless

Well good sir, I can assure you there is no way to tell if a rock damaged your bumper through a black box, it's not that sophisticated. I can tell speeds at time of air bag deployment and speed profiles up to 30 seconds prior to a collision. Doesn't track gps movements, gas in your tank or how many people are in your Jeep.

Ya that is very true, i just read what i had put up and think i shouldnt post anything 5 minites after waking up! Need to get food or coffie before trying to think that hard lol:doh:

Ignatius504

I've got a GPS tracking device with front & inside facing cameras that record to a hard drive. True its a company vehicle but still crazy!

jkpete

I read somewhere Oregon is implementing these for a mileage tax. They said that fuel efficient cars are taking away revenue because they don't use as much gas so they aren't paying as much of the gas tax. They will be taxing you by the miles you drive. It's crazy.

Indefatigable

I read somewhere Oregon is implementing these for a mileage tax. They said that fuel efficient cars are taking away revenue because they don't use as much gas so they aren't paying as much of the gas tax. They will be taxing you by the miles you drive. It's crazy.

There is no road tax on the electric cars electricity. They just have not figured that part out yet. But be sure as soon as "everyone" has one, they will figure a way to meter it...

Top Bottom