Best Ski and Mountain bike Rack??

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Planning to purchase a ski rack/Bike Rack soon.
Any advice on what to get, what to avoid?

Nick Zambo

I use a Thule Hitch mount. It's light solid and most important I trust my bikes on there. This only thing that doesn't work well is you cannot get into the rear gate with the bikes on there. But that is the same for the tire rack as well. Bikes need to come off when accessing the gate. And they are big $. But you can add to them so you can care four bikes at once.

Hope this helps.

seanb123

I use a Thule hitch with their ski adapter. Might be a little out of date now but it has never failed me and is super easy to function.

WxNerd2015

I have the Thule Spare Me spare tire rack for my 2011 JK 2dr, and I absolutely love it! I have made multiple trips back and forth to Oklahoma from Michigan, and that rack has stayed very solid for my bike! It is a bit price, but I love the mounting location and it is a very solid construction! You can also add on the ski rack to the bike rack, unfortunately for an additional cost, but once again, very solid! I also love how secure everything is with it as the rack, both ski and bike and to the rack to the tire itself, all have keyed locks to secure the rack to the tire and a lock to go around the bike to secure it and to lock the skis to the rack as well! And, you don't have to take the bike off to gain access to the truck area, you can open the tailgate with the bike attached! And it is adjustable for multiple tire sizes too! I think this is one of the best options for the JK's! Check out my post on this rack on my build page for more info on it here, posts 10 and 12:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?30999-WxNerd2015-s-Never-Ending-Build

20140812_074103.jpg

pwdrskier

Thule spare me and the ski rack that mounts to it is the way to go. Got them for christmas and they work great. Only issue I can see with using them is adding extra weight to the tailgate. Non issue if you have a tire carrier or the teraflex hd hinge.

Top Bottom