Bent frame

kellyk

So I was rear ended recently in my 2020 gladiator. Insurance company says they can fix it. It is bent at the end of the frame rail where the tow package and recovery hook tie in. The bed is wrecked, probably will be completely replaced. Cab may be twisted also, waiting for that to be confirmed. Hit was hard enough to break the drivers seat. Any thoughts on the frame being “fixed” from anyone? I would prefer it be totaled at this point to be honest with you, too many areas with damage for me to be excited about repairing it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
Glad your ok, that’s a big hit.

It took a bit of back and forth on my Ram when it was totaled. I made sure to talk directly to the adjuster and went thru point by point what was damaged. I also stressed that this was a truck intended for towing and any unforeseen damage that could lead to a failure while towing putting my family at risk was unacceptable. After a few emails and phone calls they got on board. The problem is these vehicles are so expensive today that you can do a lot of work on them before you reach that 50% mark or what ever they deem the cut off to be to total it. Good luck and sorry about your JT.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

kellyk

Yes the price of the vehicles is what I’m seeing to be the biggest factor of whether they total it or not. I did just receive an update on it. Without it being on a lift yet they are telling me that they are 80% sure that the frame will need to be replaced because they don’t feel they can repair it and it still be safe to drive. I would definitely think this would help push the price closer to totaled

Ddays

Hooked
Yes the price of the vehicles is what I’m seeing to be the biggest factor of whether they total it or not. I did just receive an update on it. Without it being on a lift yet they are telling me that they are 80% sure that the frame will need to be replaced because they don’t feel they can repair it and it still be safe to drive. I would definitely think this would help push the price closer to totaled

I was in an accident with my JKU back in 2015 and the frame was bad enough that it needed to be replaced. The passenger side of the frame was pushed back at least 3". Everything was straightened out and honestly, I haven't had any issues since. There were a bunch of other parts changed as well, so don't be surprised if you don't reach the totaled threshold.

ScoobyCarolanNC

This is actually a nice part of being on a frame versus unibody. The bed is pretty cheap in the big picture. It sucks and I’m glad your ok, but they honestly can likely fix your truck.

Elroy231

Sorry to hear of your Gladiators misfortune. Glad your okay. Holing this reaches an acceptable conclusion for you. Totally understand your apprehension. Sounds like you were hit pretty hard for the seat to break also. Goodluck with the insurance company.

jeeeep

Hooked
damage sucks, glad you're all ok.

wouldn't surprise me if they replace the frame and fix it. unless all the airbags deployed, they'll want to fix it.

as mentioned above, stress to the adjuster that you use it for towing and it must be in "tow/duty" use condition.

last thing they want is a half-ass repair and the risk of future settlement

kellyk

This is actually a nice part of being on a frame versus unibody. The bed is pretty cheap in the big picture. It sucks and I’m glad your ok, but they honestly can likely fix your truck.
damage sucks, glad you're all ok.

wouldn't surprise me if they replace the frame and fix it. unless all the airbags deployed, they'll want to fix it.

as mentioned above, stress to the adjuster that you use it for towing and it must be in "tow/duty" use condition.

last thing they want is a half-ass repair and the risk of future settlement
Repair confirmed. The dealer is now waiting for the insurance company to approve their supplemental adjustments so that we can move forward with repairs. The frame will be replaced, which brings us to the waiting game. I’m being told it could take up to a month to get a frame from Jeep. I’ll just keep racking up the miles on this rental they gave me I guess. Oh, and they are going to install the 2” Mopar lift for me as well. I do have to buy it, but no charges for install. Guess there is possibly a silver lining after all!

ScoobyCarolanNC

Repair confirmed. The dealer is now waiting for the insurance company to approve their supplemental adjustments so that we can move forward with repairs. The frame will be replaced, which brings us to the waiting game. I’m being told it could take up to a month to get a frame from Jeep. I’ll just keep racking up the miles on this rental they gave me I guess. Oh, and they are going to install the 2” Mopar lift for me as well. I do have to buy it, but no charges for install. Guess there is possibly a silver lining after all!
Hells yes!!!

TheGrendel

Make sure you negotiate your diminished value claim. And be tough because the market is freaking hot and your vehicle will no longer sell for what it could.

kellyk

So after 19 months and two body shops my gladiator is almost repaired. They decided to replace the entire bed, which has taken 7 months thanks to a national back order. I’ve been told it should be completed this coming Tuesday , November 1. Now maybe they will discuss the diminished value of the vehicle. The body shop has told me the insurance company accidentally included that paperwork in the repair estimate, it’s only $3000. State certified car appraiser told me last year it should be around $14,000, guess we’ll end up in court over this one.

jeeeep

Hooked
So after 19 months and two body shops my gladiator is almost repaired. They decided to replace the entire bed, which has taken 7 months thanks to a national back order. I’ve been told it should be completed this coming Tuesday , November 1. Now maybe they will discuss the diminished value of the vehicle. The body shop has told me the insurance company accidentally included that paperwork in the repair estimate, it’s only $3000. State certified car appraiser told me last year it should be around $14,000, guess we’ll end up in court over this one.
fight for that diminished value. I went thru it with my JKU, PIA but they actually came around pretty quick.

ScoobyCarolanNC

wow man. 19 months? I'm not a "call a lawyer" type, but call a lawyer. Were you making payments the whole time? Di they have you in an equivalent vehicle? Like not a Chevy Bolt or some shit?

kellyk

wow man. 19 months? I'm not a "call a lawyer" type, but call a lawyer. Were you making payments the whole time? Di they have you in an equivalent vehicle? Like not a Chevy Bolt or some shit?
They kept me in a proper rental up until the first body shop pissed off the insurance company and myself. It was drivable at that point so I drove for 2 months until I could get an appointment with the second body shop. Once they checked it out we have been waiting on parts, mainly the bed. However, there is a lot of rework due to the fact the first body shop didn’t do several things the proper way. Whole thing has been a mess

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I know I’m really late to the original post but still need to comment.

As of recent my shop, with a body shop attached, has replaced many GM frames. Small front end and rear ended collisions. (Currently #4 in the last month). If bent or damaged in certain areas of the frame GM says that there is no repair and frame replacement must happen. All the beds have been repaired, not
Replaced.

I’m sure mopar has a similar standard and that repairs can or cannot be made depending on the damage.

Top Bottom