Beefed up 44 ok for 38s?

astros3111

Happy Monday Wayalife.

Looking at axles and am wondering if the DynaTrac/Currie/UD44 upgraded axles would be ok to run for 38s and bead locks? Something tells me I might need to save and just go the 60 route but curious about what everyone thinks.

astros3111

Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to run 38's on factory JL Rubicon axles. Just be smart about how you drive and I think they'll hold up well. I have yet to see the kind of problems with the JL 44's that we saw on JK ones.
Ok, awesome. I am going to give that a try as I'd rather invest the money into other upgrades! Thank you, sir!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know. All my friends drive JK’s and tell me that my axles are time bombs if I go bigger than 35’s lol.
Yeah... no. You're JK friends are just going off of what they know and it really doesn't apply to the JL. Trust me, I've owned and built up 4 JK's and still have one and can speak from experience on this one.

Lperdue

What’s different between the JK & JL axles?
The C’s and axle tubbing size has increased. Addition of the FAD allows for increased caster and will save your drive shaft from some where and tear from not constantly spinning. But, they don’t hold up well with collisions on the passenger side. The mounts are also different.

benatc1

Hooked
The C’s and axle tubbing size has increased. Addition of the FAD allows for increased caster and will save your drive shaft from some where and tear from not constantly spinning. But, they don’t hold up well with collisions on the passenger side. The mounts are also different.

Larry, are you swapping axles when your do your hemi conversion or just going to run it?

Lperdue

Larry, are you swapping axles when your do your hemi conversion or just going to run it?
For the time being run what I have until I sell mine for a new set. Of course that means I won’t be able play too hard on them or do burnouts which I’m not trying to do anyways. But to be honest I haven’t seen many failures on the wrangler 392s or diesels running stock axles (probably due to running 3.73 gears).

However, my biggest fear right now is the ring and pinion. So I may go back to 4.10s or 4.55s once the swap is done.

benatc1

Hooked
For the time being run what I have until I sell mine for a new set. Of course that means I won’t be able play too hard on them or do burnouts which I’m not trying to do anyways. But to be honest I haven’t seen many failures on the wrangler 392s or diesels running stock axles (probably due to running 3.73 gears).

However, my biggest fear right now is the ring and pinion. So I may go back to 4.10s or 4.55s once the swap is done.
I gotcha, was more curious than anything. If your going to sell your axles they’ll probably sell for a higher tag with the 5.13s but like you said the ring might be a bit small for anything hardcore, depending on how long until you can make the jump to 60s. It just sucks the jump to 60s is more than just axles..

Lperdue

I gotcha, was more curious than anything. If your going to sell your axles they’ll probably sell for a higher tag with the 5.13s but like you said the ring might be a bit small for anything hardcore, depending on how long until you can make the jump to 60s. It just sucks the jump to 60s is more than just axles..
Lol yep but your right I’ll just leave the gears alone. On the flip side with the baby due this October/November. Plus I’m stuck traveling for work so much I won’t be able to wheel for realistically for a year and a half. So honestly there isn’t a real rush to make the jump. But, then again I might be able to sneak off to Sand hallow a time or two 🤫.

Top Bottom