Another re-gearing question:

Just Micah

I've searched and searched but couldn't find anything on this topic. What effect does altitude have on an engine? particularly, I have a trip coming up and we will be at 10,000ft or so and I'm curious how the Jeep will react. I have a manual 3.6 JLU Rubicon, stock gears on 37s. Is she going to be dogging it? (well, more than usual?)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With a modern fuel injected engine like you have, you shouldn't see much, if any difference than what you see now with your 37's, even at altitude.

Upvote 0

Just Micah

That's a load off! The diesel guys (Chevys) were filling my head with nightmares of a Jeep that wont keep up and even a JK buddy with 5.13s joined in.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a load off! The diesel guys (Chevys) were filling my head with nightmares of a Jeep that wont keep up and even a JK buddy with 5.13s joined in.

Thanks!
The JL is no JK and if you had an 8-speed, you'd really be able to lose your JK buddy with 5.13s. Being that you have a manual, what ever loss in power you feel now will still be about the same at altitude. I should note that the JL manual transmission comes with lower ratios so I think you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom