Air filter system on a 3.6

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I’m looking to up grade the factory air box to something air tight. The factory allows way to much dirt into the intake.

Anyone have a suggestion on a new set up? Maybe a good CIA system will work?

desertrunner

I’m looking to up grade the factory air box to something air tight. The factory allows way to much dirt into the intake.

I used the airaid CAI on my 08 after I hydrolocked it. It was pretty tight in there and seals up on the hood with weather stripping. The 3.6 might be a little different but minus a few holes in the bottom of the box nothing is getting in there

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked

Is this a trick question? I thought the aftermarket CAI's let in too much shit compared to the factory boxes, not the other way around?? :thinking:

Is this a trick question? I thought the aftermarket CAI's let in too much shit compared to the factory boxes, not the other way around?? :thinking:

Filter itself is higher flowing, not necessarily the seal on the system. Although I would think something is damaged if the stock system is letting in debris.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I spend a fair amount of time in our desert eating quite a bit of dust and don’t have a huge problem with shit getting in. I’m wondering like the others if something is broken or worn out and letting crap in?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I spend a fair amount of time in our desert eating quite a bit of dust and don’t have a huge problem with shit getting in. I’m wondering like the others if something is broken or worn out and letting crap in?

If you follow people it’s horrible. Mine is bad as well but have never seen anything hat is better than factory yet. I literally change the air filter every time I go out.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you follow people it’s horrible. Mine is bad as well but have never seen anything hat is better than factory yet. I literally change the air filter every time I go out.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah following even just a couple rigs really makes a mess of things. I bought a fresh filter to install after the run this weekend for the drive home. But I agree, I haven’t seen anything better yet. When I was working at the stealership as a used car service advisor just about every JK that had an aftermarket intake had some kind of fucked up issue. The stock ones rarely came in with any issues. Dirty yeah, but not fucked up.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I know a lot of us aren't a fan of running a pre-filer on a snorkel, but it does make a huge difference on the amount of dust the Jeep is sucking in. Its drawing clean air from above the wheel well and spins 90+% of the dust out of the air. Even after a couple runs in dusty conditions, the filter is relatively clean. Not the best looking mod, but for us, its pretty damn functional. P1150302.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Filter itself is higher flowing, not necessarily the seal on the system. Although I would think something is damaged if the stock system is letting in debris.

I meant the CAI system in total. I get that it's higher flowing, but in order to make it flow better, something has to change, like making the filter less restrictive or making the surface area of the filter larger. I don't think the CAI's claim better filtration than stock.

This from Airaid's website:
"AIRAID performance intake systems are engineered to provide a smooth, unimpeded path for airflow to your engine—keeping the air cooler and more oxygen-dense. Injecting more oxygen-rich air into the cylinders allows the engine to burn fuel more efficiently during combustion, offering you an increase in performance."

And:
"AIRAID® Air Filtration Technology
Both Oiled and Dry air filter types offer free flowing protection and filtration for outstanding performance"

Look closely and see that nowhere does it specifically say anywhere that they offer better filtration than stock, rather its promoted to make more power.

I get where Pig's coming from - he's way more knowledegable than me for sure, but I don't know that an off the shelf CAI is gonna filter better. :twocents:

longarmwj

The Airaid CAI I have on my JK uses the same exact intake opening style as the OEM box with the air inlet on the very top. The difference is it used a much larger filter and a much smoother intake tube. Other then that, it’s just as sealed as the OEM. I’ve cleaned the filter a couple of times but have never noticed anything actually in the filter tube.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Nothing is damaged, it’s just a shitty system. I bet it’s fine for the 99% of jeepers out there. But the fine dust in the desert gets into the intake.

Nothing is damaged, it’s just a shitty system. I bet it’s fine for the 99% of jeepers out there. But the fine dust in the desert gets into the intake.

Gotcha, so the issue isn't that its leaking in, the issue is that the filter isn't catching the finest dust then? Have you considered a pre filter? Go old school and slap a pair of panty hose over the intake

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Gotcha, so the issue isn't that its leaking in, the issue is that the filter isn't catching the finest dust then? Have you considered a pre filter? Go old school and slap a pair of panty hose over the intake
I think it leaks at the tubes connections and the box seal.

I’ve considered stealing a pair from Adam. Yes

Top Bottom