74Weld Portal Axles

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
To be clear, I am not advocating for this product, I know nothing about this company, nor am I interested in shelling out the kind of cash portal axles cost (e.g., the ones linked here are like $20k)!

I have read several posts over the years on Wayalife about portal axles that are dismissive of them as an option for our Jeeps primarily due to two factors it would seem: 1) lack of tone ring and 2) gear reduction is too great for anything but dedicated trail use. Starting in early 2022 I began seeing marketing like articles in online magazines talking about a couple companies making new portal axles for newer Jeeps. The manufacturer I am seeing most often is called 74 Weld; here is a link to one such article: https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/74-weld-portals-for-jeep-wrangler/
and here is a link to the manufactures website: https://motorsports.74weld.com/jeepportal/

I am posting purely to see what folks think of portal axles in general and these newer products specifically especially given the tout that they work with factory ABS and are nearly bolt on. Personally, things like portal axles are not needed at all for my build plans or the trails that I ever hope to run, and I hate the idea of adding more complexity to my Jeep (i.e., more things that can break and leave me stranded), BUT they are cool!

What say you??

WheelinMatt

Caught the Bug
My buddy built a G wagon and installed portal axles himself. Changed it from an pretty good off-roader to an amazing off-roader due to the clearance. He did have leaking from a couple of them and I’m not sure I would want to deal with the high maintenance involved but yea they are cool!

Before portal axles: (next to my Ecodiesel lemon that I traded for my current XR)
273F36CC-F1DC-485E-B13D-03F10C5FAE19.jpeg
After portal axles: having fun on a trail called Tierod Bender

5D21DD74-768B-4069-84B3-3C3255FF36F7.jpeg

I think those guys advertised at Jeep Bash when I was there if I remember correctly. I was there for hours and can't say I remember anyone stopping by their booth, unless it was to check in to all the vendors and check it off the list to be eligible for the raffle...

jeeeep

Hooked
My buddy built a G wagon and installed portal axles himself. Changed it from an pretty good off-roader to an amazing off-roader due to the clearance. He did have leaking from a couple of them and I’m not sure I would want to deal with the high maintenance involved but yea they are cool!

Before portal axles: (next to my Ecodiesel lemon that I traded for my current XR)
View attachment 380851
After portal axles: having fun on a trail called Tierod Bender

View attachment 380852
how are freeway speeds with portals? did it affect mileage?

G Wagons like Jeeps aren't known for mileage lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I'm bumping this thread only because I seemed to have missed it when it was originally posted and lately, I've been getting a LOT of guys who are overly influenced by social media whores and have way too much money to spend, asking for my "opinion" on them. AND THEN, when I tell them what I really think - that they're nothing new, are stupid expensive, totally unnecessary, will prevent you from driving fast, provide way too much lift without even installing a lift and are just stupid when trying to install coilovers with them and, and, and... I probably could go on... they end up getting all butthurt because all they really wanted was for me to confirm they are cool for wanting or in one case, already having portals.

Not to fluff myself up here but if I really thought portals were the shit, I would have them on my Jeeps. There is a reason that I don't. That said, it's been about a year since this was originally posted (found it doing a google search) and I'd like to know what you guys think - sincerely. Am I stupid and are these $25k axle stilts really the cat's meow? What say you?

JT@623

Hooked
I built a RZR on portal’s awhile back and on that they worked great and only $4K . I think I could build a very capable Jeep for $25K just don’t see the benefit on a solid axle rig. The bronco may be worth it with the useless IFS 🤣

Bierpower

Hooked
^^ This was my thinking as well. They worked on the Humvees fairly well but I don't see a point on a straight axle. Its a lot of money and the biggest benefit is raising the driveshaft.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So, I'm bumping this thread only because I seemed to have missed it when it was originally posted and lately, I've been getting a LOT of guys who are overly influenced by social media whores and have way too much money to spend, asking for my "opinion" on them. AND THEN, when I tell them what I really think - that they're nothing new, are stupid expensive, totally unnecessary, will prevent you from driving fast, provide way too much lift without even installing a lift and are just stupid when trying to install coilovers with them and, and, and... I probably could go on... they end up getting all butthurt because all they really wanted was for me to confirm they are cool for wanting or in one case, already having portals.

Not to fluff myself up here but if I really thought portals were the shit, I would have them on my Jeeps. There is a reason that I don't. That said, it's been about a year since this was originally posted (found it doing a google search) and I'd like to know what you guys think - sincerely. Am I stupid and are these $25k axle stilts really the cat's meow? What say you?
$25k!?! 😳

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t believe that it’s $25k without the axle housing!!! 🤯
To be fair, I just looked and it's $24k.

Of course, the selling point they say is that you can bolt them onto your factory axles and run 39" tires without having to lift your Jeep. As if, the crazy gear reduction and factory suspension system is something you actually want LOL

JT@623

Hooked

Of course, the selling point they say is that you can bolt them onto your factory axles and run 39" tires without having to lift your Jeep. As if, the crazy gear reduction and factory suspension system is something you actually want LOL
And the 8 lug wheels you’d have to buy unless that’s the wrong pic. Plus tax and shipping.

benatc1

Hooked
Idk seems kinda unnecessary, maybe a place for them but let’s be honest, on a Jeep meh, I’ve never seen you not be able to take your Jeep where you wanted because you didn’t have clearance in the middle, seems like just have to take the right line. But I’m just a stock axle guy so who knows lol

edit: I actually just looked at the link and fuck no, seems like a disaster waiting to happen, I thought these were a full axle at first read lol

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

That’s a steal then.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And, before it starts going around that I'm a hater of 74weld or portals as a whole, please allow me to state for the record that I have ZERO issues with either. I'm sure 74weld is a good company and good for them for successfully selling a product that they make. The only reason why I bumped this thread is because of people who are interested in portals and have been asking for "MY OPINION" regarding them and how they tend to respond. If you're one of them and still want to buy a set, by all means, don't let me stand in your way (y)

Top Bottom