$3k for a re gear?

desertrunner

My dad is looking at trying to re gear before our rubicon trip and the 4wp in his area (Sacramento CA) quoted him out the door 3k for a 30/44 4.56s
I was thinking maybe 1500-2000 but 3k seems real high. Or is that just the going rate for a re gear now a days?

JimLee

Hooked
My dad is looking at trying to re gear before our rubicon trip and the 4wp in his area (Sacramento CA) quoted him out the door 3k for a 30/44 4.56s
I was thinking maybe 1500-2000 but 3k seems real high. Or is that just the going rate for a re gear now a days?
Sales tax
State tax
County tax
City tax
Special use tax
Hazmat disposal fee (tax)
Probably a few I haven't even heard of.

It's California dude. Illegal aliens aren't going to get free health care for free. Sounds in the ballpark of what I've heard for SoCal.

Spazbyt

Hooked
2 years ago a shop near me that specializes in axles was around 1k per axle all said and done but I'm sure prices have only gone up since. The shop rates are like $130 a hour now!

desertrunner

2 years ago a shop near me that specializes in axles was around 1k per axle all said and done but I'm sure prices have only gone up since. The shop rates are like $130 a hour now!
Yeah the 1k per axle seemed par for me. I knew prices are going up but I was a bit surprised by 3k for a 30/44

What's the parts/labor break down? Any idea?
I just asked him for it I was curious too

I recommend going to a shop that specializes in gear and axle service, a quick google showed several in the Sac area
This is always my recommendation too. In my experience it has been cheaper and more likely to be done right the first time.

pop2tu

I know a couple places in So. Cal that do re-gears, 1 is for $2000, the other is the guy that did mine 2 years ago, I saw his add a couple months ago for $950

Bear_JT

Hooked
I had 4wp do my re-gear on my JK a few years ago and was not happy at all with them or their work. They even stripped out 2 of my lugs and didn’t tell me. They went as far as saying my bearings had spun in the housing and would not warranty their labor if anything went wrong down the road.
Like some of the others have said, find a shop that specializes in gears and you’ll probably save money, headaches, and have quality work.

Top Bottom