37 Cooper STT Pros on ATX Slabs balance issues

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m sure the tire has a shifted belt. My set of coopers were bad. They never balanced good and would always be out of balance by the next oil change. It’s one of the things I hated about them.

Daniel Partida

So small update, decided to order 1 Mikey Thompson Baja Boss M/T and see if I had better luck with mounting those tires and hope has been restored, these balanced with only 7oz of total weight instead of the 30+ ounces for the Coopers. Decided to order 4 more and going to go ahead and hopefully all balance fairly easily.

Attachments

• BAJA BOSS1.jpg
    BAJA BOSS1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 9
  • BAJA BOSS2.jpg
    BAJA BOSS2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 9

Daniel Partida

Happy to report that I was able to mount all 5 Baja Boss tires with the worst taking 16oz of weight, and the best was 7oz, so not bad at all. Sent back the Coopers. Also found my driver lower adjustable ball joint had play so torqued that one down and so far my suspension feels nice and solid. Only issue now is tracking a decent right pull. Pulls me out to the next lane in less than 3 seconds of letting go of the steering wheel. Does feel like its more than just the crown on the road...was maybe thinking could be bad thrust angle so threw it on the alignment rack at work and is actually not bad and actually looks like it would be helping me if anything with a right pull if I understand positive thrust angle correctly. Could it just be radial pull from the tires? Not super bad but do have to always keep pressure to the passenger side with the steering wheel to keep it going straight.

Attachments

• JEEP2.jpg
    JEEP2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 8
  • JEEP1.jpg
    JEEP1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 8
  • alignment.jpg
    alignment.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 8

Daniel Partida

Ironically, Cooper makes those MT's
Really liked the look of the 13.50 wide STT PROs but had so many issues trying to balance them so decided to try these as I've heard good things along with the Nittos. But only running some almost fully built Dana 44s cant go wrong with having less weight/mass on the smaller axles.

I run 40” STT pros on atx slabs and have never balances them. They run smooth.
So I picked my jeep up after getting a 392 installed the other day and mine definitely are out of balance. I guess the jeep just never went fast enough to wobble as it only happened above 75. I did have them balanced yesterday and they are pretty smooth now. Not perfect but I think it’s from the distance of the lugs on the tires. To me it feels like you can feel them while driving. Maybe I’m crazy though.

So I picked my jeep up after getting a 392 installed the other day and mine definitely are out of balance. I guess the jeep just never went fast enough to wobble as it only happened above 75. I did have them balanced yesterday and they are pretty smooth now. Not perfect but I think it’s from the distance of the lugs on the tires. To me it feels like you can feel them while driving. Maybe I’m crazy though.
You can definitely feel them, especially when they’ve chunked.

Top Bottom