3.6L Oil Filter/Cooler Adaptor Housing Replacement

shooternow

Well why come asking for advice? I did a drain and refill when I did mine and it was over a gallon.
I know the whole system is around 3 gallons if fully drained. Did you do more than just drain what was in the rad? I'm asking for advice because I'm looking for the information to do the job. Not trying to start an argument, just asking if anyone's done it without draining the whole system.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I know the whole system is around 3 gallons if fully drained. Did you do more than just drain what was in the rad? I'm asking for advice because I'm looking for the information to do the job. Not trying to start an argument, just asking if anyone's done it without draining the whole system.
Drain the radiator and from the thermostat. Probably 1.5-2 gallons.

I bought a gallon of new premixed coolant.

I replaced the oil filter housing without draining any coolant. Not much came out of the block or the hose. Just topped it off after.

Is it smart to drain coolant? Yes, I wish I had.

Is this project impossible without draining it? No.

But what do I know. Maybe I’ll just just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may. Whatta ya say?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I replaced the oil filter housing without draining any coolant. Not much came out of the block or the hose. Just topped it off after.

Is it smart to drain coolant? Yes, I wish I had.

Is this project impossible without draining it? No.

But what do I know. Maybe I’ll just just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may. Whatta ya say?
I did it on my silver Jeep without and would never do it that way again. What a mess. That’s why I drained it on my 17.

shooternow

I ordered two more gallons of coolant just in case and the spill proof rad funnel kit so i'll be draining it. I appreciate the feedback. Makes sense to just drain it, fill it and then burp the system. Thanks again.

abergman303

Hey guys I'm getting ready to change mine out on a 16'. Just had a few questions. My new housing I picked up doesn't have the 2 plug sensors already installed like the original pic. Wondering if I can reuse the existing or is that a no go and going to have to source them out as well? Also I'm hoping the torque specs on the original write up can be used on the 16. Same engine so I'm guessing it would be.... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you necessaryevil for the write up

Attachments

• 20231027_165306.jpg
    20231027_165306.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 9

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey guys I'm getting ready to change mine out on a 16'. Just had a few questions. My new housing I picked up doesn't have the 2 plug sensors already installed like the original pic. Wondering if I can reuse the existing or is that a no go and going to have to source them out as well? Also I'm hoping the torque specs on the original write up can be used on the 16. Same engine so I'm guessing it would be.... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you necessaryevil for the write up
You can reuse but for for the price of them and the hassle it is to replace, I would replace them now. That’s what I did.

abergman303

You can reuse but for for the price of them and the hassle it is to replace, I would replace them now. That’s what I did.
Thank you. I was thinking the same, it's one of those things I'm in a time crunch but I'm just gonna have to wait and do it right. I ordered it from quadratic and it didn't come with the units. Luckily I just got off the phone with them and there sending another. But thank you again for the reply I appreciate it. Are those torque specs compatible with the 16'? Or do I need to go and find the data on them? Again your help is very much appreciated.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thank you. I was thinking the same, it's one of those things I'm in a time crunch but I'm just gonna have to wait and do it right. I ordered it from quadratic and it didn't come with the units. Luckily I just got off the phone with them and there sending another. But thank you again for the reply I appreciate it. Are those torque specs compatible with the 16'? Or do I need to go and find the data on them? Again your help is very much appreciated.
Torque specs should be good. It’s not much torque. Auto parts stores should have the sensors on stock.

I replaced the 2 knock sensors and that whole wiring harness back there too.

Wiring harness was probably overkill, but if your knock sensors were submerged in 2” of oil for 3 months like mine, they might be worth replacing for peace of mind.

They are also cheap and available at auto parts stores.

abergman303

Torque specs should be good. It’s not much torque. Auto parts stores should have the sensors on stock.
Thank you!
I replaced the 2 knock sensors and that whole wiring harness back there too.

Wiring harness was probably overkill, but if your knock sensors were submerged in 2” of oil for 3 months like mine, they might be worth replacing for peace of mind.

They are also cheap and available at auto parts stores.
Ok good to know! Man I'm hoping it didn't get that bad but if so it's good knowing. I appreciate the heads up. I was gonna tackle it tomorrow but having issues with the part. So I'm waiting to tear into it until I get it but I'm itching to see how bad it is. Any ways thank you, any other pointers are appreciated.

Top Bottom