2016 JKU Transmission Temp

jrod1290

Hi all,

I need some guidance. I hardly ever check my transmission temps, but I have never really seen it go past 172. This morning on my commute I noticed go as high as 190 while I was idling at a red light. After that It didn’t drop below 180. Is this normal? Should I be worried? What does high temperature usually mean?

the Jeep is 2016 with 120k miles. I do have 35in tires, but have had those for a few years now.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hi all,

I need some guidance. I hardly ever check my transmission temps, but I have never really seen it go past 172. This morning on my commute I noticed go as high as 190 while I was idling at a red light. After that It didn’t drop below 180. Is this normal? Should I be worried? What does high temperature usually mean?

the Jeep is 2016 with 120k miles. I do have 35in tires, but have had those for a few years now.
have you done a transmission fluid/filter change?

120k miles it's due.

WJCO

Meme King
Make sure your fan is working and no mud plugging condenser/radiator but honestly, that temp isn't that bad.

jrod1290

I just did a transmission fluid and filter change and now when I read the dash it says if I'm on the highway going 70 mph it hits 172-174 easily and stays there, at stop lights I have seen it go up to 176 or 179. I realize that these are not crazy temps by any means but it is weird how they are higher than before when I never saw temps go past 168-170. I have checked the fluid levels and they are right where they should be at on the dipstick. Now I have also noticed that when my AC is on and I am at a red light waiting that the temp has dropped below 165 which makes sense since I presume the fan kicks in. Any idea if this is normal? Anyone else notice anything like this? What are the temps that everyone else is seeing on their transmission temps? My manual says normal operating temperature for Automatic transmission is approximately 180

Brute

Hooked
150-180 is normal…next time it approaches 200, try pulling over and put it neutral and let it idle for a couple minutes…the temps should start to drop.

Top Bottom