08 JK Lower Oil Pan Gasket?

grungepup

So after looking around, I have seen that there isn't a gasket for the lower oil pan. The write-ups and videos I have found all seem to say just use RTV to seal up the lower oil pan. My question is, can you use some thing like Fel-Pro Gasket Material to create your own gasket? Has anyone done this? Or is it best to just use RTV?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So after looking around, I have seen that there isn't a gasket for the lower oil pan. The write-ups and videos I have found all seem to say just use RTV to seal up the lower oil pan. My question is, can you use some thing like Fel-Pro Gasket Material to create your own gasket? Has anyone done this? Or is it best to just use RTV?
Well sure, you can definitely do that but using RTV will do a better job. I personally would recommend the Right Stuff made by Permatex.

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
You will still need RTV for the corners on the outside recommended corner areas (once assembled) anyways. So I went the RTV on the lower with no leaks since.

Upvote 0

jeeeep

Hooked
rtv the lower, gasket for the upper with a dab of rtv on a couple of spots.

For the longest time I thought it was the lower or rear main that was leaking, turned out to be the upper. the path the oil leak took made it appear like it was the lower/rear main

Upvote 0

grungepup

Looks like have a full weekend full of projects. Ordered new shocks (staying stock height for now), new diff covers (both are rusted), oil pan gasket, and plugs, coils and wires (my biggest pet peeve is people who never change their plugs and wires).

Upvote 0
Top Bottom