Close

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Knows a Thing or Two FrankenJeeper's Avatar

Learning to Weld

I've always favored stick welding myself.

When my buddies and I go wheeling we carry a couple spare batteries, jumper cables, hood, gloves and a handful of 309 stainless rods.

Poor man's welder for sure!

2010 JKU Sport
    1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Supporting Advertiser Off Road Evolution's Avatar

Learning to Weld

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    LOL!! You were totally safe. If I thought you wouldn't be, I would have welded you up with the welder I had with me

I'm not expert at welding and but can get the job done well enough. If you can't take a class, I would get a basic mig welder and start practicing. Most welders will come with enough info on what it should be set at for the thickness of the steel you plan to work on and then the rest is just a matter of doing it enough that you become comfortable at it. Practice makes better and do it long enough will make you good at it. Of course, there are some people who are just naturals at it like Cindy
    Cindy had a good teacher ..,

Re: Learning to Weld

Gas is a must imo. You wont get the penetration, or the clean beads without it. Harbor freight specials spatter like nothing I've ever seen, and spatter going into your weld just leaves an air pocket. Then its just a matter of when. Not if. It breaks. Theres a lot to it. But anyone can learn tack welds or small tack beads easily enough. If you have the cash and the option, always get the gas with a wire feed.

Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.
    2011 JK Auto.
    Wayalife/PJK Swag.
    Rebel Off Road "Hellfire" JK Hid Kit.
    33" Toyo AT's.
    Blacked Out.
    Chopped Fenders/Chopped Bumper front/Bumperless rear.

Old Rig. Scrapped.

2000 WJ Limited, 4.7L V8, NP247 Transfer Case, Quadra-Drive with Vari-Lok
    4" Teraflex Lift, Teraflex Quick Disconnects, 35" Toyo AT's
    ARB Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rock Sliders, ARB Rock Guards
    6k HID's, 3k PIAA HID fogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road Evolution View Post
    Cindy had a good teacher ..,
    Yes I did!! Thanks Mel!

Re: Learning to Weld

I wish I had learned to weld growing up. My pops is a welding instructor at Cerritos college and has welded his entire adult life. I do know one of the biggest things is getting familiar with your temps and materials. You need to know what you can weld on, i.e. steel vs aluminum and such. But practice practice practice. Learn basic stuff like flat beads and once you have that down you can move on to more technical stuff like fills and verticals and the like. Good Luck!

sent from my Razr-M while driving my JK-U.......

Quote Originally Posted by kaptkrappy View Post
    I watch the videos from these sites.

Welding-TV.com

Lincoln Electric has a YouTube channel

I know this is an old thread, but I have not welded in a few years. Just welded with gas and stick. I may be showing my age. I need to get a mig and just finished watching some of these videos from Welding-TV. Thanks for sharing that. To summarize...looks like mig with gas is way to go.
    Gots
    17-Inch Rubi Wheels
    32" BFG KM M/T's 255/75/17 Tires
    18/59 Springs & Rubi Shocks
    TF Leveling Kit
    1.5" Spidertrax Spacers
    Warn Rock Crawler Stubby & Engo 9000 Winch
    EVO Mfg Rear Bolt On "D" Ring Mounts
    EVO Mfg Rear Corner Rock Skins
    Rough Country Skids

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

-
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I have not welded in a few years. Just welded with gas and stick. I may be showing my age. I need to get a mig and just finished watching some of these videos from Welding-TV. Thanks for sharing that. To summarize...looks like mig with gas is way to go.
    Let me know when you're ready, we'll burn some wire. I have a brandnew mig and a bunch of small projects to do.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

A real nice little portable welder is the miller passport. You can use a small little co2 tank for gas and the 110/220 power option makes it real nice. Still kicking myself for passing one up on CL about a year ago.

With a bernard gun you can also mig Al. Which is a pretty cool option.
    '14 JKUR

I would like to learn to weld...

Have a few questions for the welders among us. How did you learn to weld, what type of welding do you use on your Jeep and why? I would like to learn and I would like some help in figuring out how to go about learning. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    2014 JKUR "Stumps"