Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62
  1. #1
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    39,916

    VIDEO : SCRUB RADIUS - What it's All About & The Dynatrac PRO 1550 Knuckle

    While wheels with very little back spacing are all the rage, widely available and will push your tires out far enough to help clear things like steering and suspension components, it does so at the expense of your ability to steer and at the cost of putting significant stress on your ball joints, wheel bearings and even tie-rod. The more you push the center line of your wheels out, the more you increase your scrub radius and in this short video, you'll get to hear Jim McGean, the owner of Dynatrac explain what all this means, why you don't really want it and see how their XD60 front axle with Pro 1550 steering knuckle allows you to run a wheel like a Trail Ready bead lock that has 5.5" of back spacing to virtually eliminate it. Please note, this is just a raw, impromptu video and so I apologize for the screen scan that you'll see.



    For more information regarding the Dynatrac XD60 front axle and PRO 1550 steering knuckle, please click on the link below:
    REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

    Also, more videos like this are coming your way so be sure to check back soon

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing TrainWreck618's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    East of St. Louis
    Posts
    1,374
    Mind blown


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    15,141
    Refreshing to see it explained so simply. I've read about SAI and scrub radius many times in books over the years without being able to easily wrap my head around it. This explanation was much easier to understand.

  5. #5
    Nothing but a Thing TrainWreck618's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    East of St. Louis
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Glad you found the clip to be informative
    I'm seriously impressed with this whole design. I was looking over your pictures again earlier, and it's crazy the improvement made. I'm looking forward to seeing videos in the rocks


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #6
    Knows a Thing or Two boardsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    5280
    Posts
    784
    Really interesting stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmobeeler View Post
    Rare doesn't make it desirable. It's rare that I shit my pants, but when I do it's usually not desirable. Lol.

  7. #7
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    39,916
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Refreshing to see it explained so simply. I've read about SAI and scrub radius many times in books over the years without being able to easily wrap my head around it. This explanation was much easier to understand.
    LOL!! I totally agree. It's one thing to read about theory and it's another to see it explained in a practical application.

    Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    I'm seriously impressed with this whole design. I was looking over your pictures again earlier, and it's crazy the improvement made. I'm looking forward to seeing videos in the rocks
    The design of the XD60 and PRO 1550 really is impressive. We hope to get videos out on the rocks as soon as we can

  8. #8
    Been Around the Block FuriousDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Refreshing to see it explained so simply. I've read about SAI and scrub radius many times in books over the years without being able to easily wrap my head around it. This explanation was much easier to understand.
    Im still having a little trouble wrapping my head around it.

    So is it the design of the knuckle combined with the BS that allows such a small scrub radius? Does the BS alone change the scrub radius on say a stock axle?

    Awesome info by the way!

  9. #9
    Old Timer jeeeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,178
    well hell...

    I just added spacers on the pr44 but I've got Dynatrac BallJoints so I'm going back into my "it's all good" safe place lol

    in all seriousness I'm considering going back to stock knuckles, not sure why my steering changed so much after installing the Rancho knuckles

  10. #10
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    39,916
    Quote Originally Posted by FuriousDz View Post
    Im still having a little trouble wrapping my head around it.

    So is it the design of the knuckle combined with the BS that allows such a small scrub radius? Does the BS alone change the scrub radius on say a stock axle?

    Awesome info by the way!
    While the PRO 1550 steering knuckles alone will help reduce scrub radius and therefore improve steering, running them WITH a set of wheels that have 5.5" of back spacing will virtually eliminate scrub radius, vastly improve steering, protect your steering components and help them to last a lot longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    well hell...

    I just added spacers on the pr44 but I've got Dynatrac BallJoints so I'm going back into my "it's all good" safe place lol

    in all seriousness I'm considering going back to stock knuckles, not sure why my steering changed so much after installing the Rancho knuckles
    By adding wheel spacers, you have effectively pushed your the center line of your wheels out and by doing that, you have INCREASED your scrub radius. Unless there is something I am not aware of on your new knuckles, I wouldn't think they would cause a change. Of course, I have no experience running them so I couldn't say for sure.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •