Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Great thread! I have a little piece of quartz from last summers Moab trip. It's been in the coin tray in the jeep since I picked it up on a trail stop. A few more years of rattling around with the coins and it'll be nicely polished.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just wanted to share a tid bit of information to keep everyone out of trouble. Collecting arrow heads, antique pottery, any native American artifacts, or anything older than 50 years old (cans, bottles, etc.) on public lands is actually illegal. It punishable with fines and even jail time depending on the severity. The proper way to "collect" these items is to use a camera take a picture of it and leave it in place. If you have a GPS take down it's coordinates and provide them to your local land management (BLM, USFS, NPS, etc.) office. If they are not lazy they will take these coordinates to locate the piece you found, take further photographs, document it's location, collect it, and put it in a box in some collection room never to be seen again. Typically if you are caught collecting these items, unless you have a lot, the items will be just be confiscated and you asked not to do it again. However, if you are collecting these for sale or damaging them by trying to remove them from (ie..petroglyphs, mining equipment) you will most likely be cited, fined, and possibly arrested. This all being said it reminds me, I still have several items on my desk from years ago I meant to turn into my archaeologist, if I remember to before I retire... Some offices don't mind the collection as they would rather have people see them than them me tucked away never to be seen again. When in question contact your local field office. Be careful what you post on social media as this could be self incriminating. Know the area your in as you don't want to be trespassing on private property either. Hope his helps. Happy hunting!

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Just wanted to share a tid bit of information to keep everyone out of trouble. Collecting arrow heads, antique pottery, any native American artifacts, or anything older than 50 years old (cans, bottles, etc.) on public lands is actually illegal. It punishable with fines and even jail time depending on the severity. The proper way to "collect" these items is to use a camera take a picture of it and leave it in place. If you have a GPS take down it's coordinates and provide them to your local land management (BLM, USFS, NPS, etc.) office. If they are not lazy they will take these coordinates to locate the piece you found, take further photographs, document it's location, collect it, and put it in a box in some collection room never to be seen again. Typically if you are caught collecting these items, unless you have a lot, the items will be just be confiscated and you asked not to do it again. However, if you are collecting these for sale or damaging them by trying to remove them from (ie..petroglyphs, mining equipment) you will most likely be cited, fined, and possibly arrested. This all being said it reminds me, I still have several items on my desk from years ago I meant to turn into my archaeologist, if I remember to before I retire... Some offices don't mind the collection as they would rather have people see them than them me tucked away never to be seen again. When in question contact your local field office. Be careful what you post on social media as this could be self incriminating. Know the area your in as you don't want to be trespassing on private property either. Hope his helps. Happy hunting!

Every party has a pooper! Lol.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Every party has a pooper! Lol.
    Hey my stomach was hurting...haha.

Just don't want anyone getting in trouble. I never said don't do it. It was more of how to do it without getting in trouble by using your own judgement.... As indicated with sarcasm in there too...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Hey my stomach was hurting...haha.

Just don't want anyone getting in trouble. I never said don't do it. It was more of how to do it without getting in trouble by using your own judgement.... As indicated with sarcasm in there too...haha.

So you want to go rock hounding next Tuesday?
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

So, I'll add to this thread.......Post pictures of your findings and add the words 'found on private land' to the post. Then we'll all be good.

I'll refrain from posting a pic of the piece of the Pyramids at Gaza that I chinked off.

Sorry my inner Canadian came out...haha

Knows a Thing or Two boardsurfer's Avatar
    There is a dry creek bed on some private land that has been in the family for well over 30 years here in Southern Colorado. When I was a kid my dad would take me there to search for fossils, which wasnt much of a search because damn near anything you picked up had a fossil on it.

On this rock wall, you could pull out just about any slice of rock and find an imprint of a sea shell. On this occasion we had a local visitor:

IMG_9275.jpg

While the land sits at about 6000 feet elevation, it was once completely under an ocean. Hard to believe sometimes.
    IMG_9248.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmobeeler View Post
    Rare doesn't make it desirable. It's rare that I shit my pants, but when I do it's usually not desirable. Lol.

Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Really cool thread, thanks for sharing everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app