Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which locker?

Quote Originally Posted by scrota76 View Post
    I recently had a change of plans to my build. Long story short, the wife said no to my dream. I am going to add a rear locker to the stock Dana 44 on my 2015 JKU Willys.

Couple questions:

ARB or Ox?

If Ox, would you go air, electric, or manual?

I was recently told that Ox may be facing some financial problems and go belly up, anyone hear the same rumor?

Knowing the majority will say ARB because of the reliability, i ask about Ox because the idea of manual locking is appealing. Plus if the cable breaks they have a tool to release and engage it. Just dont want to buy a product if the company is going out of business.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Was in the same predicament as you. Was going to go with cable, didn't like the big lever. Thought about their electric but didn't like the added actuator same as the air. The locking mechanism is appealing. But ended up going with an Arb.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have seen OX lockers in action and they are strong. I know 80% of the Germans and Icelandics run OX over ARB, I don't know why, but they swear by them. Me personally have not messed with lockers in a long time. I do want to get the setup on my current rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    I've got some Rubi axles under my jku that are getting replaced soon. I'll give you a good deal so you can have both while she's looking

If I did the rubi swap, would i have to stick with the factory elocker, or could i switch to ARB?

Fresh Catch
    I see the logic. But when i see $900 for an ARB, plus (on the high side) $1000 in labor for the install, I'm at around $2000 with a locker and nothing else.

If i go with the replacement rubi rear end, that's more labor intensive, and would probably be in the $2000 range for labor and misc parts. Total bill there is $3000, if im lucky.

To which someone will say, just have a buddy come over and do it yourself. And i will reply......Attachment 246892I can't even fix the f!@#!ing toilet paper dispenser!

I was going to ask if people do any of the work on their rigs, but you just answered my question. I guess some of us are a little more handy with a wrench than others.

Knows a Thing or Two Journeyman's Avatar
    If I did the rubi swap, would i have to stick with the factory elocker, or could i switch to ARB?

I'm sure you could do whatever you want. But the e-lockers are already installed

Do you have to have an air locker? What about a TruTrac at half the cost and the left over in gears? How much 'wheeling' do you do? Maybe that would be enough and regear while your in there.

No i do believe arb makes a rubicon 44 specific locker that matches the splines on the rubi rear end. But if you swap it and the Elocker works. Might as well keep it until it goes bad. Then replace

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    '14 JK Sport Anvil 6-Spd 3.73 gearing
    Installed:
    -Rubicon Express 2.5" lift with monotube shocks
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    - Poison Spyder A-Pillar Mounts
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

Fresh Catch
    I wanted lockers in my 2014 sport, but the budget and D30 front axle made me take another route. Recently re-geared from 3.21s to 4.56 and the future wifey threw a Detroit Truetrac my way for a Christmas gift, yeah I am a lucky man! If you can hold off and get the gears done at the same time as a locker/limited slip whatever you go with you will save in the long run buy not having your axles opened up again to add the lockers. Gear sets can be found at a very reasonable price as a kit, with and without overhaul kits. Now, I am saving up to build a D44 front axle, the shop that did my install (yes I paid someone to do it and now have a little extra warranty/piece of mind) has one sitting on a rack with my name on it! Cost breakdown...

$700 Detroit Truetrac
    $130 D30 3.73 and up carrier
    $900 for gears and opted for master overhaul kits because I was over the 80,000 km mark
    $1000 for the complete install

$2730 CDN
    $2035 USD

To date, easily the best money spent on my Jeep so far by a huge margin. Daily driving is so much nicer on 35s when you are geared correctly!
    2014 firecracker red Jeep Wrangler Sport. 315/75/16 Duratrac tires, 16" D window steel wheels, Rugged Ridge Hurricane flat fenders, AntennaX shorty antenna, Tuff Stuff front and rear bumpers and tire carrier, Warm 8000 lbs winch.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/core4x4.ca/
    https://www.facebook.com/R-T-Jeep-Ad...4310413796683/

I see the logic. But when i see $900 for an ARB, plus (on the high side) $1000 in labor for the install, I'm at around $2000 with a locker and nothing else.

If i go with the replacement rubi rear end, that's more labor intensive, and would probably be in the $2000 range for labor and misc parts. Total bill there is $3000, if im lucky.

To which someone will say, just have a buddy come over and do it yourself. And i will reply......Attachment 246892I can't even fix the f!@#!ing toilet paper dispenser!

1k labor for front and rear, or just one? I'm paying 400 for locker, gears, master kit and axle shafts installed. Paying 3k for Arb, 35 spline g2 golds, g2 4.56 gears, master install kit, out axle seals and ball joints.

Fresh Catch
    My 2 cents....

My son runs an OX locker in the rear of his 99 XJ and it works very well.

He uses the electric acuator which moves the short cable to the diff cover plate.

It operates quickly to lock and unlock....wish my rubi lockers were as fast lol

He has had it in for almost a couple of years now with no problems.
    2014 JKUR 6spd 3" TeraFlex lift with front and rear upper/lower flex arms
    TeraFlex monster front TB
    Spohn Performance TR and DL with DL flip
    Synergy rear coil wedges
    Front Dynatrac PR44 Unlimited with ProSteer BJ
    Dana/Spicer front 1310 DC DS
    M/T Deagan 38 Pro4 17x9, Pro Comp 315/70/17 Xtreme MT2
    PSC Brawler lite front bumper
    PSC RockBrawler II rear bumper
    Warn VR10
    Bushwacker flat fenders
    50" LED light bar