Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which locker?

Knows a Thing or Two Saharaunlmtd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scrota76 View Post
    I had planned on regearing, but when my wife crushed my dreams the 4.56 gears became a tear drop on my cheek.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    With that being the case, I'd pick option C. Buy a rear rubi takeoff w/ 3.73s. From my research the can be had for around $1400. Then you could sell your stock 44 w/ LSD for $500.

You'd only be in the hole $900 and you'd jump from 30 spline to 32 spline.

Otherwise, I'd go 35 spline ARB with USA made Revolution axle shafts for $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd View Post
    With that being the case, I'd pick option C. Buy a rear rubi takeoff w/ 3.73s. From my research the can be had for around $1400. Then you could sell your stock 44 w/ LSD for $500.

While that is a good option, I don't think it's one I would personally go with if only because it'd be a lot of trouble to do. There are also significant benefits to sticking with a non-Rubicon rear 44 and mainly that you can upgrade to 35 spline shafts as you have noted and that both passenger and driver side shafts are the same length. If you bend a flange on one, you don't need to get a side specific shaft replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd View Post

I see the logic. But when i see $900 for an ARB, plus (on the high side) $1000 in labor for the install, I'm at around $2000 with a locker and nothing else.

If i go with the replacement rubi rear end, that's more labor intensive, and would probably be in the $2000 range for labor and misc parts. Total bill there is $3000, if im lucky.

To which someone will say, just have a buddy come over and do it yourself. And i will reply......1488739011620.jpgI can't even fix the f!@#!ing toilet paper dispenser!

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Or, since you already have a winch, you could wheel it, as is. Cost = $0.00

I guess my ultimate question here is:

Are ox lockers as reliable as ARB?

If the answer is no, then the no brainer choice is ARB. I will just add a couple air lines to the jeep go bag and forget about cables and little tools.

I've had an ARB in my TJ for around 15 years and the only issue I've ever had was intermittent operation, pulled the fuse, wire brushed it, put it back in and it's been trouble free since. Personally These will always be my first choice.

Knows a Thing or Two Saharaunlmtd's Avatar
    I see the logic. But when i see $900 for an ARB, plus (on the high side) $1000 in labor for the install, I'm at around $2000 with a locker and nothing else.

If i go with the replacement rubi rear end, that's more labor intensive, and would probably be in the $2000 range for labor and misc parts. Total bill there is $3000, if im lucky.

To which someone will say, just have a buddy come over and do it yourself. And i will reply......1488739011620.jpgI can't even fix the f!@#!ing toilet paper dispenser!

Gotcha. Yeah, my numbers only balance out if the rubi is DIY vs the ARB being a pro install. Otherwise, it isn't logical.

IMG_0534.JPG

Knows a Thing or Two NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Sounds to me like you need a new wife

I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryEvil View Post
    I second that.

I would trade in for a Rubi before i trade in the wife, but both options would cost way too much money. So, i will keep the woman that i love knowing that she wont change, and keep the Jeep that i love knowing that it wont change, much, when the wife isnt looking.

Knows a Thing or Two Journeyman's Avatar
    I would trade in for a Rubi before i trade in the wife, but both options would cost way too much money. So, i will keep the woman that i love knowing that she wont change, and keep the Jeep that i love knowing that it wont change, much, when the wife isnt looking.

I've got some Rubi axles under my jku that are getting replaced soon. I'll give you a good deal so you can have both while she's looking