Close

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Hey I like Ramen and thanks for the pull..
    Always good to have stories to tell while sharing the Pinot Grigio.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Always good to have stories to tell while sharing the Pinot Grigio.
    Always...haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    I recently had to make the same decision. I was sort of bent over a barrel regarding price also but in the long run I bit the bullet and bought the M8000 with a steel cable for the time being. The likelihood of using your winch is pretty low.. unless you are recovering people or living somewhere that requires you to do it... or like my friend in the great white north does "Plays hero during snow days and pulls bimmers out of shallow ditches."

My observation over the past couple of years is that every one of my friends who has bought a winch has only used it "ONCE" in a 2 year period. The problem is that, one of my buddies has a quadratec winch that didn't work cause the solenoids were corroded from rain/exposure.. but my one friend who had the WARN.... well.. his worked... It was a VR series that was left uncovered.. but it still worked. I chose to go with the M8000 because I like to support US products when I can and that makes me feel good.

BTW, the M8000 is not waterproof / neither are the VR series. The contactor box should be mounted up on the hood if you are thinking of wading. Additionally, if you choose to wade with the m8000 it will still need a re-haul once dipped from what I hear. (I havn't tried)

That's my .2 cents. (Get a winch cover)

Something my dad taught me while I was about 7 yo...always buy the best you can afford, even if you have to save for awhile for it...you will not be disappointed...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    12-S unnecessary. Go with the 10-S. They were on sale recently for $850. Subscribe to the Sale thread where people post up deals they find.

Edit: here you go http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=6173
    I got in on that sale and the final price after Rebate $799.00 Not Bad for a ZEON S10.

Knows a Thing or Two Saharaunlmtd's Avatar

"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

Quote Originally Posted by TLC Offroad View Post
    I got in on that sale and the final price after Rebate $799.00 Not Bad for a ZEON S10.
    Holy poop, that's a steal for a Zeon 10s.

Knows a Thing or Two NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLC Offroad View Post
    Same here and I believe USMCwrangler did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryEvil View Post
    Same here and I believe USMCwrangler did as well.

Absolutely! Couldn't pass that up.

.................................................. .....................
    Overall "build thread"
    http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    In 70 degree weather at an offroad park with lots of guys around its a utility item.

Stuck in the snow by yourself miles into a trail that utility item now becomes a safety item.

It all comes down to what you are willing to take a chance on. If you will never be in a life threatening situation with your rig go for what you feel best. I'd just rather
    err to the side of caution for a few more hundred bucks.
    Couldn't agree more.
    I've been out in the middle of nowhere in deep snow , stuck . It's a reality moment really. My winch has saved my ass an other people's asses several times.
    From my experience I'm deff getting a warn.
    I have a quadratec and it hasn't let me down yet... BUT the remote is junk an finicky , I since replaced it with a better one, also getting a new line . For what it's worth the winch has been on my Jeep since I bought it, or else I would have bought a warn new.
    Doesn't change the fact I'm still getting a warn even though my current winch works fine.
    I'm going to pay for that added safety.

Fresh Catch
    Personally, I have a Warn 8274... Bought it about 20 years ago and I was not the first owner.... I remember when I bought it a friend who showed me the offer, $850 with a mounting plate for my YJ, said it was a good deal as the winch was virtually new (new'ish cable) and only used a couple times (mall crawler I think). He also, and this is specific however to the 8274, said it would be the last winch I would ever buy... Truthfully it is also the first.....

Currently it is being rebuilt (slowly by myself). The only real reason is I wanted to crack it open and see the guts and know it... Over the years and spending 2 winters in North Chicago at Naval Training Center, the salt took its toll on the solenoids. Mine uses the older style RV solenoids that can be had for about $20 each (need 4) on amazon. However I am just going to buy the newer style since my cover is cracked. I once got the controller cable in something and cut it so it is now spliced back, etc... Needless to say everything still works including the motor... If you can afford it but a used 8274 and rebuild but beware that almost all bumpers will have a problem fitting it... I just talked with LOD and was happy to find that his front Destroyer bumper has something like 19 inches where that drop deck on it is... More than enough to make a winch plate for my 8274
    Last edited by NotInStock; 01-21-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    NotInStock

2016 Rubi JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" RK X-Factor, Fox Shocks, Dynatrac PR44 Front Axle, ATX Chamber Pros, BFG 35x12.5x17.
    Build Thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...Rubi-Hard-Rock