Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation PLEASE - DO NOT Post Up GPS Coordinates or Trail Directions on WAYALIFE

I know it may sound like a crazy concept to some but back in the day, in order to find places to explore, you needed to read history books and pour over paper maps to look for trails and possible routes. For harder trails, you could only learn about and wheel them by getting to know people, becoming friends with them and having them take you there. For my purposes, I have been fortunate enough to have wheeled and explored the deserts and mountains of the west for almost 40 years, first with my dad and now with my family. And, I'm sad to say that some here may never know just how pristine and beautiful it used to be out there. It was almost magical the way you could go to places that were seldom seen by others and be transported to a time over 100 years ago... over 1,000 years ago or more. It almost kills me to think about how many of these places have since been shot up, vandalized, trashed and burned down just in the last 5-10 years. What changed things you might ask? In my opinion, the internet. The internet has just made it way too easy for people to share information with total strangers who may or may not share in their enthusiasm to preserve and protect our public lands and unfortunately, there's no stopping the internet and all the yahoos who use it.

While I would encourage everyone to share photos and stories about all the great places you've wheeled and explored here on WAYALIFE, I would be grateful if you could please refrain from posting up GPS coordinates, directions to trails and/or off-road destinations or even to websites that contain them. I have no illusions that I can stop the idiots from destroying our trails and all the amazing places they can take you to but I have no desires to allow WAYALIFE to assist in their efforts.

Thank you.
    Eddie

Click on the link below to see before and after shots of some of the amazing places that once existed out in the Mojave Desert and have since been lost to history forever.
    http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...p-After-Photos

Great thread and idea.

I can relate to this. There is some pretty nice trails in my neck of the woods that only me an some faimly members know about. Just cause our land is right against it.
    I've had countless kids ask me where trails were at, I never tell them. Lot of people don't take the "tread lightly" to well around here. First thing they want to do is get in there with their trucks an just dig ruts an create mud holes. Not to mention a lot of kids just throw their trash where ever.
    The government is already taking away a lot of our land to explore, those yahoos just gives them all the more reason to close down trails

I have learned that half the fun is going out and exploring rather than setting and going to a specific waypoint, i understand why some may not want to get lost but thats no reason to open up a lot of nice places that are lightly traveled to the masses and allow it to be turned to shit

Thank you Eddie and all the members of Wayalife that we take this to heart and help keep what little we have sacred and original.

Nice thread!! Years ago when I was stationed out at Fort Irwin, CA my family and I would explore the Mohave Desert every weekend. I was out there last winter and did a little bit of exploring. Things have changed for the worse.
    Sent while I sit on my couch

Thanks guys, I appreciate your understanding and support.

While I have no doubts that people who eagerly post up GPS coordinates or information on how to get to trails do so because they "just want to help", but what they seem to forget is that there's no vetting process as to who gets access to that information.

Nothing but a Thing TrainWreck618's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Click on the link below to see a thread I started back in 2013. In it, you'll get to see before and after shots of some of the amazing places that once existed out in the Mojave Desert and have since been lost to history forever.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...p-After-Photos
    I really don't understand this...

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    I really don't understand this...
    You really don't understand what!!

Jackasses destroy stuff that should be left alone for others to admire and see.
    Sent while I sit on my couch