Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rust treatment recommendations

Hi, I have a 1992 xj that has a little rust issues that I want to nip before the weather turns. Most of the suspension is rusted but I don't care about that since I will be replacing all that with a new kit next spring. Now I have some surface rust and penetrated rust along rear lower quarter panels and obviously the floor pan area, I read about Eastwood brand rust converter, it seems to be the best I was wondering if anyone had used it or had suggestions thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshman3280 View Post
    Hi, I have a 1992 xj that has a little rust issues that I want to nip before the weather turns. Most of the suspension is rusted but I don't care about that since I will be replacing all that with a new kit next spring. Now I have some surface rust and penetrated rust along rear lower quarter panels and obviously the floor pan area, I read about Eastwood brand rust converter, it seems to be the best I was wondering if anyone had used it or had suggestions thank you!
    Ive used mutiple spray paints on my frame that never lasted more than one winter up in the northeast. This summer I put on some Chassis saver and it seems like some good stuff, but only time will tell.

Ive heard of people using POR 15 as well but have not seen it in person.

Hooked
    After seeing Eastwood in use at PA Jeeps this year, I personally would go that route. I've used loctite's rust inhibitor -which I think is just naval jelly- but as Kyle mentioned I'm rattle canning every year.

I've heard great results with POR15, but if I'm not mistaken, it's a lot of prep work and you'll have to topcoat it as it won't hold up to UV.

Use Evapo Rust. You can get it at O'reillys.
    Bored? Check out my build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...nlimited-Build

'16 JKU Rubicon 4" Evo 37" STT Pro

Thank you very much for the input, I have had good experience with por15 on a classic Chevy I was working on, how ever I think I will try a shot of that Eastwood product and if I like it I will keep using it. Does that evapo rust product convert rust? Or just protect?

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Used engine oil.
    X2...........

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Used engine oil.
    But pour it in the frame

Hooked

Rust treatment recommendations

Used motor oil. Or, not sure with previous rust, but I use chemical guys bare bones. It's an oil based undercarriage cleaner/ protector. Smells good looks pretty and no rust yet! I get about a month or two between coats before I reapply

Joking about pouring in the frame. Title made me think of an old thread. I've heard good things about bare bones though.