Close

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Posts
    418

    Welders: Hobart 180 comparable

    Hey Guys,

    I've been looking into a welders that I can carry as I start take further wheeling trips. I was hoping to get a Hobart 180, however, there's been 1 that has popped up in the 6 months I've been looking. Are there Hobart 180 comparable welders available? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The threads I've read seem to be older and just wondering if any new products are available.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Old Timer DWiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by mastrcruse View Post
    Hey Guys,

    I've been looking into a welders that I can carry as I start take further wheeling trips. I was hoping to get a Hobart 180, however, there's been 1 that has popped up in the 6 months I've been looking. Are there Hobart 180 comparable welders available? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The threads I've read seem to be older and just wondering if any new products are available.

    Thanks!
    Check out the hobart 210 MVP. For close to the same price, you can have a MUCH more capible setup.

  3. #3
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    15,138
    I'm looking too. Only two I know of are Ready Welder and Premier Power. I'm going to probably buy a RW and build my own system with 2 batteries. Dewalt makes one too but it's like 4 Gs.

  4. #4
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    15,138
    Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    Check out the hobart 210 MVP. For close to the same price, you can have a MUCH more capible setup.
    That's not mobile though is it? Self contained power source?

  5. #5
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    Check out the hobart 210 MVP. For close to the same price, you can have a MUCH more capible setup.
    Same question. Doesn't look portable or am I reading wrong? 180 could be run off 2 car batteries. I'm looking at the Ready one but it doesn't seem comparable to the 180.

  6. #6
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    15,138
    Quote Originally Posted by mastrcruse View Post
    Same question. Doesn't look portable or am I reading wrong? 180 could be run off 2 car batteries. I'm looking at the Ready one but it doesn't seem comparable to the 180.
    The Hobart 180 has battery power in it. It's self-contained. Then when you get home and plug it in, it charges the batteries and can be used as a home welder. At least that's how I understood it. Eddie has one.

    I'm thinking about getting two Group51 DeepCycle batteries and building a small metal frame for them with a handle. That will be my welder I keep in the back of the Jeep when on trails. I can just hook a RW up to it. Then when I get home, take the battery and frame assy out and leave them in the garage or charge them. That way I don't have to mess with the battery on the Jeep, just leave it alone. I can get each battery for 150-200 bucks, some steel from the hardware store, and the RW for 500. So I'm in it for a grand or so and it's truly portable.

    I really considered a PPW, but it's a little more complicated setting it up and it is a lot more money.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Cool thread. Thanks. I didn't see this one when I searched...not sure why.

    Wonder if the Ready Welder is the best thing to get right now on the market.

  9. #9
    Old Timer DWiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,868
    sorry, didnt realize you were looking for portable welder. I assumed it was for a home setup.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •