Close

Thread: Plasma Cutters

Plasma Cutters

Looking to buy a plasma cutter. The last one I used was 15 years ago and was a badass Miller 240v. I'm looking for a simple 110v for up to 1/4inch steel. I would prefer a built in compressor with auxillary air so I could add more air pressure if needed. Any of you have good or bad advice on what to get or what to stay away from?

I've got a little Hypertherm 45 for mobile stuff. Great unit. I've got three of the Eastwood units and an ESAB at the fab shop. The Eastwood units are cheap, but work great. If you're looking to save money, they're not bad at all. Have one on our optical cutter and the guys run it a lot. No issues yet.

Been Around the Block Dalton gang's Avatar
    Ive got a miller P.C. i love it. No compressor though i wonder if the ARB twin would be enough for it?

Plasma Cutters

I have an older Thermal Dynamics
    Pak 50 without compressor... Only paid $400 for it and it has never let me down. Just as a word of advice, make sure you have an air drier (no moisture in the tank) while running it. I would stay away from Chinese cheap plasmas, it's sometimes hard to find parts for em. Most of them use the bigger brands (Miller ESAB Lincoln) cups and tips! Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by Azzi; 06-05-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into all of these.

Nothing but a Thing HighwayTrout's Avatar
    Another vote here for Miller. No built in compressor though.

I have the spectrum 625 or whatever it's called. It kicks ass.

When you pull the trigger. Buy a air dryer/filter. Clean dry air will help tons.
    en hopup veritas

Yeah. The air dryers are a must. I generally stick with Miller products when I can.

So I got ahold of a used Miller 125 for a great price. Looks like it will be perfect for what I'm using it for. Thanks for all the info guys.

I have an eastwood that I am happy with, dont use it much but had an issue when they came out where it would not work, the no question warranty was nice to have and took it to the local store and swapped it out for a new one.

Have a little Miller 375 Extreme (I believe its called) and it has worked flawless and I've made a lot of shit with it over the past couple years.