7) Use a 5mm hex key to carefully remove the wheel speed sensor. I had to use a small flat head screwdriver to gently pry it loose. Be very cautious when handling this. Gently pull the sensor out and work it through the space in which it's routed. Work the wire from the two mounting tabs, then hang wire with the caliper as in the previous pic.
7) Next, using a 13mm 12point socket remove the 3 bolts attaching the hub assembly to the steering knuckles.
8) Gently pull hub and axle shafts out, turning as you pull. As a precaution I put paper towels into the axle tube to keep junk out.
9) Remove cotter pins from ball joints then loosen castle nuts till only a few threads remain. I used a 1 1/8 socket for the lower, 22mm socket for the upper.
10) Leaving at least one castle nut on, I then used a pickle fork placed at the top ball joint between the knuckle and end forging. With a 3lb. hammer and a few solid hits I separated the steering knuckle from the end forging.
Remove the nuts and knuckle. Sorry no pics of this step.
11) Following the supplied instructions included with the ball joint removal kit we pressed out the upper ball joints first. With the proper adapters we made easy work of this. then we pressed out the lowers.
12) Thoroughly wire brush the bore to which the new ball joint will be installed. I used a Dremel tool and a wire brush attachment to clean two two holes. Use brake cleaner to remove any dirt or residue.
13) Following the Dynatrac instructions for installing their ball joint kit we started with the lowers first.
I also bought their recommended install tool to prevent any damage to the ball joints.
Add a generous amount of anti-sieze to the ball joint bodies then press them in making sure they are completely seated. Clean off excess anti-sieze.
14) For the uppers I had to remove the retaining clip, then using the same process and per the instructions,
add the anti-sieze to the upper ball joint bodies and press them in making sure they are seated all the way in. Clean off excess anti-sieze.
A side note: Axle droop affected the ability to get the press to align properly while pressing in the uppers. So you may have to make adjustment to the axle droop with a
floor jack. Also, as was the case with me some diff. fluid may leak out from the tube.
15) Again I used a wire brush to clean the steering knuckle paying special attention to the holes, bolt holes and the large hole, just wire brush the whole thing and hit it with brake cleaner too.
16) Reattach the steering knuckle onto the ball joints and fasten the castle nuts. With a 7/8" socket, First torque upper ball joint crown nuts to 35lbs. With a 15/16" socket Then torque the lower ball joint crown nuts to 70lbs. Torque the uppers to 70lbs. Torque the lowers to 105lbs. Proceed to torque till the next available slot. Insert cotter pins and bend the ends.