Close

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    -

Trail essentials- What tools to Carry Offroad

Alright everybody, as im new to the world of wheeling jeeps, i thought it would be cool to hear what you all take with you on trips as "must have" items, gear, tools. Whatever. Sorry if this is already posted, if it is i couldnt find it.

Here's a thread that should help you out with recovery essentials.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ing-the-Trails

As far as tools go, I pretty much carry everything I would need to work on my Jeep as well as most JK's and that includes a welder. It's a TON of tools but, I have used them countless times. Granted, I not everyone needs to carry this much stuff and so long as you have basic tools and the 5 essentials (BFH, pry bar, zip ties, duct tape and a heavy duty ratchet strap), you should have enough to get you off the trail

Water and snacks just in case you're going to be out for a while is a good idea too as well as something warm. I literally could go on and on but this should be enough to get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post

As far as tools go, I pretty much carry everything I would need to work on my Jeep as well as most JK's and that includes a welder. It's a TON of tools but, I have used them countless times. Granted, I not everyone needs to carry this much stuff and so long as you have basic tools and the 5 essentials (BFH, pry bar, zip ties, duct tape and a heavy duty ratchet strap), you should have enough to get you off the trail

Water and snacks just in case you're going to be out for a while is a good idea too as well as something warm. I literally could go on and on but this should be enough to get you going.
    Couldn't agree more with the above list of materials. To add to that list would be a tow strap, shovel, and a case of water. Oh, don't forget the toilet paper unless you want to wipe your ass with a cactus.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post

Thats a great start, and thanks for the link. Better safe than sorry. BFH = big effin hammer? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sully G View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the above list of materials. To add to that list would be a tow strap, shovel, and a case of water. Oh, don't forget the toilet paper unless you want to wipe your ass with a cactus.
    Hilarious but true. Im no cactus fan. Or pinecone in these parts...

Also if you have a lift and bigger tires, a jack that can accommodate.

Banned
    There's one thing I never forget to bring with me and that's my trusty Milwaukee impact. If I have to change a tire on the trail, I damn sure am not using a lug wrench.

Knows a Thing or Two SaddleTramp's Avatar

Trail essentials

Get under your rig and see what you need in the way of tools and parts specific to what you have.

Example: some of the aftermarket driveshafts use fasteners that require 12 point wrench/socket (or some really good vise grips, ;-)) to remove in the event of failure, 18mm for brake calipers, etc...

Depending on what's still OEM and what parts you've added and modified will impact what you will want to and need to carry to be able to work on it. Of course always good to have a trail buddy that's at least carrying what you don't too.
    Last edited by SaddleTramp; 12-13-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Caught the Bug

Must Have Tool And Sockets To Carry

Can I get list of the must have socket sizes and other tools a jeeper should carry with him/her at all times.

I have been compiling a list by reading the how-to and install threads. Some of what you may need can vary depending on what mods your rig has. Also some special tools will be useless to you if you don't know how to do the job they are for.

Best thing I have found is that if I uses tool or particular size wrench while working on the jeep in the garage then it goes in the tool bag in the jeep. Has not let me down yet.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast