Yo from CT

DLA

Back in the mid 90's I liked the look of the XJ so my wife and I went to test drive one. If I recall, it was 14k. It was white, and I had been driving a 90 Toyota short bed reg cab with a bit of a lift which I only paid 10k for. We walked away, sort of surprised at how Jeep could be asking 14 for such a piece of junk. Never did get it out of my mind though.

6 years ago I bought a white 2001 XJ with 120k on it for my daughter. Oh, the irony. Then my son took that, so I bought her a 99. I'm a pretty good mechanic, the 2001 had the typical D35 issues with bearings. Everyone said don't bother, not worth it. I rebuilt that rear end 35000 miles ago, still quiet and just fine. and that was easy. My son has long armed and manual swapped that XJ, it's pretty bad ass now. My daughter totalled the 99 and asked for a subaru which I actually kind of hate.

Fast forward to this year. My 2006 silverado went over 200k and was just flat out boring me after 15 years. I started shopping. Well, first I got a concussion - and while recovering I bought my other daughter a 2008 2 door soft top JK in rescue green with 65k on it. What fun - more shopping. I found a 2016 2 door Sahara with leather and a 6 speed with 36k on it and looked like it had never even gotten wet. I bought that for myself. So, suffering from a mild form of brain damage resulted in the purchase of two Jeeps.

I lifted mine 2.5 and put 33s on it, set up all the geometry, and I'm daily driving it. Never going back to an automatic trans again.

I myself don't do any off roading in the jeeps as I have dirt bikes and I'm into that. So, I'm using mine to get to work, I just set up the plow and I'll plow my 1/4 mile driveway with her, and she pulls the motorcycle trailer just fine. Yeah, I could drive a BMW or something more appropriate, but I don't.

I used to drive my Silverado at 85 mph, bored to death and always just wishing I was where I was going already. Now, 65, cruise control on a lot, or just rowing gears, and I love it. Don't want to get anywhere, just want to roll.

That's my Jeep story!

Top Bottom