Wrangler JLR Steering Damper Relocation

SilverSurferSA

I am in need of some help.

I have a Right Hand Drive Wrangler JLR with the 2H, 4Auto, 4H and 4L selections. A FAD at the right front side shaft and CV's in stead of U-Joints at the front wheels.

The steering damper hangs a bit low so I want to relocate it to get it out of harms way. On the RHD the steering damper is mounted to the axle on the one side and the left front wheel rod end assy on the other side. This means it is close to the front diff pumpkin so simply lifting it would be a problem because it will make contact with the front diff pumpkin.

Does anyone know of a steering damper relocation kit for the RHD JL that any of the suppliers sell, or have some advice how best to get it out of the way.

I would really appreciate some advice.

SilverSurferSA

Sure, see the following pictures, I hope it helps and my explanations is understood.

The following two pictures shows the damper position in front of the diff:

11F4A106-2701-4DA5-B05E-1371DA06DAD0.jpeg

4535DE7E-E17A-4071-BC3B-6901B5005EFC.jpeg

The following two pictures shows where the damper mounts to the left front wheel and to a bracket that is welded onto the axle where the damper mounts to the right hand side:

Left side mounting:
D3AC3F22-4BB3-4789-99B6-8FFD889A6B41.jpeg

Right side mounting onto the bracket that is welded onto the axle:
CDC3CBF7-D231-4590-A268-66352BCD6B47.jpeg

The following picture shows the mounting spot for the left hand drive Jeep's damper, on the right hand drive this is not used:
9D7048F5-48D0-4EC7-9450-05E4D6F49653.jpeg

This last picture shows the right hand front wheel, note there is no bracket to mount the damper as on the left front wheel. The left hand drive has a mounting bracket here though:
553B2BB0-0AC8-48F5-8823-A364B8A5F6EC.jpeg

WJCO

Meme King
Here's what the bracket looks like on the LHD axle (the bracket that goes on the FAD). You could probably buy that bracket then buy an aftermarket steering stabilizer relocate kit (like Synergy or Rock Hard 4x4) and flip the stabilizer around so it's positioned like the LHD style. However, even by adding the bracket, you will probably have to cut off your existing bracket that's welded to the axle because you won't be able to install one of the bolts for the new axle bracket. Not sure how much of that you want to do.

DSC09604.JPG DSC09605.JPG DSC09606.JPG

Synergy also makes a tie rod clamp that you may be able to do something custom with:

Untitled.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Sure, see the following pictures, I hope it helps and my explanations is understood.
Post a picture of your lower track bar bracket too if you don't mind. I assume it will be near the pumpkin rather than on the other side of the axle.

SilverSurferSA

I do not mind cutting the welded bracket off, no problem with that.

I was thinking of installing the left had drive damper but had second thoughts because there must be a reason why the damper is on the opposite side of the driver position on both the LHD and RHD.

Here is the picture you asked for. The lower track bar bracket is on the left side and not the right side like the LHD:

15A5ED90-EA25-4E89-BC4E-6046474BC727.jpeg

WJCO

Meme King
I do not mind cutting the welded bracket off, no problem with that.

I was thinking of installing the left had drive damper but had second thoughts because there must be a reason why the damper is on the opposite side of the driver position on both the LHD and RHD.

Here is the picture you asked for. The lower track bar bracket is on the left side and not the right side like the LHD:
Here's how the Synergy kit works, it goes from your lower track bar bolt and then attaches the stabilizer onto your tie rod. But I don't know on your RHD if that would still interfere with the pumpkin (but on the Synergy kit, it still flips the stabilizer around in the opposite direction so I doubt the direction of the part would be an issue with the stabilizer's own function):

8806-01-D1-1200.jpg 4050-50-D1-1200.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Here's how the Synergy kit works, it goes from your lower track bar bolt and then attaches the stabilizer onto your tie rod. But I don't know on your RHD if that would still interfere with the pumpkin (but on the Synergy kit, it still flips the stabilizer around in the opposite direction so I doubt the direction of the part would be an issue with the stabilizer's own function):

^^^ I like this idea

multihull

I also hav ethe RHD Aussie JL with the 2.2 litre diesel. I have removed the dampener and replaced it with a Rough Country twin steering dampener. It just bolts on however you need to completely remove that stupid centre mount (that stupid chunk of metal that hits and ploughs the ground. then you just use the standard LHD mount holes which still feature on our export RHD axles. the only issue is the twice dampener igets a bit hard to steer with when your 35" tyres are deflatted to 15psi and you're have a front tyres stuck in big holes.
Or go the Synergy mounting set up and cut and remove that stupid centre mount.
Send me a PM if you wish as I have a few mates in Queensland who push their JL's pretty hard and have done the good mods for hard off roading.

Jay Ellyou

I just went with the Fox steering damper, it comes with its own clamp for the RHD JLU, now I just got to cut & grind that monster lump of steel off the axle 35CE4996-6D9F-456A-A6DD-5E79DDAC9F92.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom