Whistling sound from engine

RedPool

I have a 2021 Gladiator with just over 1k miles on it. Recently, I have noticed a whistle type of sound coming from the engine area. Seems to be coming from the rear of the engine, slightly to the passenger side. This was discovered while idling with the hood open. (It has been heard while driving, but unconfirmed if it was this or maybe a mirror mount whistling in the wind.) I have also noticed it on my wife's 2020 JLUR. Both are running the 3.6. Any ideas if this is normal or where I should start to diagnose? I would rather go to the dealership with knowledge due to not trusting the new group they have there.

RedPool

Are you able to post a video of it? How loud is it?
It is loud enough to notice, but could be overlooked if you are not used to the normal sounds. I will try to get a video at lunch or when I get home. Comparing to the JLUR, it is slightly louder on the JT.

RedPool

I have uploaded the video to YouTube...
Engine Whistle

Originally, the noise seemed to come from the right rear section of the engine but in the video, it seems to be front/center. After watching the video, I went back and payed better attention and can confirm the location. Also, the wife's 2020 JLUR has the same sound. We are experiencing no loss of power or warning signs. I hear it seldom when driving with the windows down at varying speeds and throttle or when idling with the hood open. Please bear in mind that my hearing is not the best due to stupid actions taken as a child. Thanks for any input!

WJCO

Meme King
Engine Whistle

Originally, the noise seemed to come from the right rear section of the engine but in the video, it seems to be front/center. After watching the video, I went back and payed better attention and can confirm the location. Also, the wife's 2020 JLUR has the same sound. We are experiencing no loss of power or warning signs. I hear it seldom when driving with the windows down at varying speeds and throttle or when idling with the hood open. Please bear in mind that my hearing is not the best due to stupid actions taken as a child. Thanks for any input!
I hear it. I don't think mine does it but I'll listen next time I have it running. That sounds to me like a vaccum leak or maybe a pulley bearing. Hard to say. If you rev up the engine, does it get louder with rpm?

WJCO

Meme King
Engine Whistle

Mine does it too, lol. 25k on it and I never noticed it. I could only hear it with the hood open.

CalSgt

Hooked
I hear it. I don't think mine does it but I'll listen next time I have it running. That sounds to me like a vaccum leak or maybe a pulley bearing. Hard to say. If you rev up the engine, does it get louder with rpm?
Yeah, I thought it sounded like an idler pulley or other bearing

RedPool

Hitting the gas doesn't do anything noticeable. I heard it yesterday on the way home while running around 35-40 mph. I let off the gas and seemed to quiet a bit. I did read a couple things about it possibly being something to do with the fuel injection or throttle control. I truly have no clue. I have worked on suspensions quite a bit but my engine experience is limited to changing out a radiator and a steering gear box, if that counts. Hopefully I can get time to run it by the dealership in the next few days. I will keep you posted, but no promises on info. The dumb ass service writer actually told me he adjusted a battery to prevent an error message related to the auto stop. The battery was replaced.

RedPool

Update: The whistling seems to related to the fuel injection system. It was heard on 6 of the 7 JL/JT on the lot. Most were not as loud as mine, but it was there. With no warning indicators or any other sign of a problem, I am going to run with it. If the windows are up or the radio is on, I don't hear it so I guess it's out of sight, out of mind for now.

Top Bottom