What's in your Jeep tool kit?

WJCO

Meme King
Well, there is a wide range here from I bring a whole tool truck, to I got pair of channel locks with me. I don't want to carry 500 pounds of tools. I was kinda looking for a streamline set of tools advice list. Like you will need a 22 mm wrench, but not at 17 because there is no 17mm bolts on a Jeep kinda advice.

Then there will be that one time that you need that 17mm because some bozo somewhere damaged a fastener and replaced it with an aftermarket one requiring a 17mm.

I have at least 5 10mm sockets in my tool kit and 3 10mm wrenches because those things disappear like gnomes.

I would definitely recommend to just get a complete set. Hell, the drink in your cup holder probably weighs the equivalent of at least a few sockets.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I’m not sure 5 is enough. You’d better check them regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seriously!!!

All joking aside. I bring a full set of tools with me including a torque wrench and the correct size socket (36 I believe) to remove the axle shaft, several locking pliers (work great for pinching a broken brake line), various hammers (BFH, and soft face), pry bar, and various nuts and bolts.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve used most of this stuff, not only on my rig but others with me.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Seriously!!!

All joking aside. I bring a full set of tools with me including a torque wrench and the correct size socket (36 I believe) to remove the axle shaft, several locking pliers (work great for pinching a broken brake line), various hammers (BFH, and soft face), pry bar, and various nuts and bolts.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve used most of this stuff, not only on my rig but others with me.

Bout the only thing in there that I don't carry is torque wrenches. I only use high quality torque wrenches. They aren't cheap, nor do they take well to being bounced around in the back of a jeep. I figure I can ballpark torque for a trail fix and re torque after I get back home.

WJCO

Meme King
I have at least 5 10mm sockets in my tool kit and 3 10mm wrenches because those things disappear like gnomes.

I’m not sure 5 is enough. You’d better check them regularly.

Lol. Funny thing is that I was right on the money with my post. Of course one is a line wrench that I've only used once. I may have a 10mm impact socket as well but I couldn't find it (imagine that).

1016180842.jpg

longarmwj

Then there will be that one time that you need that 17mm because some bozo somewhere damaged a fastener and replaced it with an aftermarket one requiring a 17mm.

I would definitely recommend to just get a complete set. Hell, the drink in your cup holder probably weighs the equivalent of at least a few sockets.

Just 8 10mm tools total? I see you like to live dangerously.

I’ve bought probably 20-30 10mm sockets and wrenches in the last two years. One day I’m gonna find where they all went and have the mother load.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Did not scroll through whole thread. I hit the Oregon sand dunes on Christmas. Curious if anyone has and used a sand anchor. They really are pretty slick. I usually go out with just one vehicle and one can drive on them. Just thinking worse case. I guess compressor or this or both. Thoughts?

Brute

Hooked
Did not scroll through whole thread. I hit the Oregon sand dunes on Christmas. Curious if anyone has and used a sand anchor. They really are pretty slick. I usually go out with just one vehicle and one can drive on them. Just thinking worse case. I guess compressor or this or both. Thoughts?

If you have some pics, please post them up...where did you go?...I'm looking forward to hitting the dunes this upcoming year.

The last time I've been in dunes was Olancha in CA not far from Mojave...I had Brute on 37" Toyo's OC MT's, aired down to 8 psi...and I had a Pull Pal anchor with me...but didn't need it...this was four years ago. It was a blast, and been thinking of doing a trip to the dunes somewhere again...

Ddays

Hooked
I was thinking the same thing. Fortunately kids think wearing mismatched socks are cool so they just grab any two out of the mismatched sock pile..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WTF is with that? My 21yo daughter does that. Drives my little OCD man upstairs nuts every time she takes her shoes off :crazyeyes:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
If you have some pics, please post them up...where did you go?...I'm looking forward to hitting the dunes this upcoming year.

The last time I've been in dunes was Olancha in CA not far from Mojave...I had Brute on 37" Toyo's OC MT's, aired down to 8 psi...and I had a Pull Pal anchor with me...but didn't need it...this was four years ago. It was a blast, and been thinking of doing a trip to the dunes somewhere again...

I will post some up in the Oregon thread later brother. I think I saw your rig on Pintrest the other day. I know there is only one of your rig for sure!

JKbrick

WTF is with that? My 21yo daughter does that. Drives my little OCD man upstairs nuts every time she takes her shoes off :crazyeyes:

My 4yo daughter does, but it’s like two shades of blue like she’s trying! I would say something but I only see them on the floor, not her feet. By the time I get home she’s typically down to running around in her underwear. She hates to wear clothes at home

ebd.other

What is your tool bag system and why

Hi, I have been collecting tools over time to the point that I’m needing a tool bag system one to take while wheeling. can anyone recommend or explain what kind of tool bag system they are using and why ?

WJCO

Meme King
Hi, I have been collecting tools over time to the point that I’m needing a tool bag system one to take while wheeling. can anyone recommend or explain what kind of tool bag system they are using and why ?

Merged here.

SLO

Not using a system, just a Craftsman tool bag for hand tools and a DeWalt bag for an impact and grinder. They are around 15” x 9” at the base and hold everything I need. They fit under the rear seats in a 4-door. Not sure if that answers your question or helps.

medic2283

Jeep tool Kit.

Fishing bag full of various sockets and 3/8 1/2 ratchets, prybar, jumper cables, channel and vice locks, small sledge hammer, military shovel, HiLift jack, tow straps, snatch block, jug of distilled water, small medic 10min/1 hour bag, glock, shield, ID.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Gonna give this thread a bump as I go through my stuff and put it in the new Jeep. Some stuff still missing as I have recently ordered to replace broken or haven’t packed yet. No spare parts included.

Air Up/Down Bag
-Air Hose
-Blow Gun
-Currie Tire Deflator
-Air Pressure Gauge

CAACBCE2-F66F-41CD-8EA7-D397EA81C446.jpg

Bottle Jack Bag
-12 to. Bottle Jack
-Large C Clamp
-2.5lbs Sledge

E6B984A5-A8CC-467F-8D24-30B885E43AE3.jpg

Misc Nuts/Bolts

A87B1992-7F43-447D-94F9-6BBDCE1E807E.jpg

Tire Repair Kit

2C6BC464-B333-4F8B-B5D0-BB9A5905904D.jpg

Sockets
-Full Metric Set
-Full Standard Set
-Hex Set
-Torx Set
-Extensions/Adaptors
-36mm
-Ratchet

863B092A-0079-466C-B202-9A1FA50AC903.jpg
38E5489B-CE55-4583-B45F-B2D22CA858B1.jpg

Electrical Bag
-Terminals
-Small Nuts/Bolts
-Hose Clamps
-Cotter Pins
-Wire
-Spare Fuses
-Banjo Crush Washers
-Brake Bleeder
-Electrical Tape
-1410/1350/1310 Ujoints & Strap Kit
-Tape Measure
-Wire Crimpers
-Suction

803C85BB-A721-45D9-B0B6-6525DD617144.jpg

Wrenches/Torque Wrench/Screwdrivers/Misc

191EF8AE-ABEF-457F-A027-2AB56AD07B1E.jpg
5D8AFF70-085D-459B-859F-C118013C820A.jpg

Fluids
-Oil
-Power Steering Fluid
-ATF+4
-Brake Cleaner
-Brake Fluid
-Speedy Dry
-Oil Filter
-Funnel
-Diff Fluid
-Pump
-2x4

206D655D-F336-4243-8B37-4DE28D181F7C.jpg
3173B090-CE32-46FF-8EA4-EEAE90A377CD.jpg

Interior Cubby
-Spare Belts
-4x4
-PSC Hoses
-Radiator Hose
-Brake Lines
-1 7/8” Wrench

A29D8237-D24C-4687-9F19-D73319E80A94.jpg

Recovery Gear
-Tow Strap
-Tree Saver
-Shackles
-Chain
-Hitch Tow Point
(Missing - Snatch Block, soft shackles)

82340840-7EB4-4C41-87E7-6F3149B500C6.jpg

All Packed in

050B2104-17F5-434B-8949-B9058C6DA109.jpg

All together it’s 188 pounds of shit. That doesn’t include spare parts and tools that are missing that will be here this week.

Top Bottom