Weld on Lower Control Arm Skids?

bmkrinne

I’m thinking of installing some front lower CA skids on my PR44. Anyone installed the EVO or Synergy weld on skid plates?

pros/cons?

other recommendations?

CalSgt

Hooked
I've done the Artec weld on front CA skids... I would bet they're all the same

I did them because every time I had to work on the front the CA mounts were pinched together, I had to bend them back apart to remove the CA.

I've only had the front apart once since putting them on & they weren't smashed this time.

Cons:
To adjust the lower CA on my jeep they get unbolted at he axle and the JJ gets threaded in or out. With the skids welded in there its a major PIA to get the CA out to get it adjusted, I cant just knock them straight down out of the mounting brackets. I either need to remove the whole CA or use a come along to pull the axle out far enough for them to clear.

WJCO

Meme King
I’m thinking of installing some front lower CA skids on my PR44. Anyone installed the EVO or Synergy weld on skid plates?

pros/cons?

other recommendations?
Have you had issues where you think you need it? I've hit them several times and only did real damage once and fixed it with a hammer. And honestly if I had picked a better line, it probably wouldn't have happened.

DSC06842.jpg

bmkrinne

I've done the Artec weld on front CA skids... I would bet they're all the same

I did them because every time I had to work on the front the CA mounts were pinched together, I had to bend them back apart to remove the CA.

I've only had the front apart once since putting them on & they weren't smashed this time.

Cons:
To adjust the lower CA on my jeep they get unbolted at he axle and the JJ gets threaded in or out. With the skids welded in there its a major PIA to get the CA out to get it adjusted, I cant just knock them straight down out of the mounting brackets. I either need to remove the whole CA or use a come along to pull the axle out far enough for them to clear.
I was wondering about this! Wonder if all the brands cause issues disconnecting the axle side of the CA. Looks like the artec skids almost cradle the CA.

bmkrinne

Have you had issues where you think you need it? I've hit them several times and only did real damage once and fixed it with a hammer. And honestly if I had picked a better line, it probably wouldn't have happened.

View attachment 377416
No, I haven’t had issues but have a couple small dings on the brackets and CA joint. Just really looking for an excuse the use the welder. Don’t want to create issues though

CalSgt

Hooked

View attachment 377416
Those look way beefier than the JL brackets, the JL brackets are about half that thick and have a lip and bends stamped into them

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have EVO’s on the stock 44.. I‘m glad they are there. My LCA brackets were taking a beating. The passenger side skid got bent pretty bad and has been crooked for years.. its too hard to straighten it.. but whatever. I like how it gussets the 2 sides together for more strength.

As stated its a little harder to get the ARM out.. but not a big deal to me.

5F62E31A-587B-4C58-8107-323CDF3A7CC2.jpeg 58C2C890-E140-4284-AC3F-A94F9E3CF92F.jpeg

bmkrinne

I have EVO’s on the stock 44.. I‘m glad they are there. My LCA brackets were taking a beating. The passenger side skid got bent pretty bad and has been crooked for years.. its too hard to straighten it.. but whatever. I like how it gussets the 2 sides together for more strength.

As stated its a little harder to get the ARM out.. but not a big deal to me.

View attachment 377420 View attachment 377421
Thanks for posting pics! Looks they can take a beating!

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Have the Synergy LCA skids on all four corners. They definitely have taken a beating and I drag them over everything without worry.
It is a PITA to get the LCAs out without a lift. Still trying to get the rears out to change the bushings.

Short answer, happy to have them.

bmkrinne

Have the Synergy LCA skids on all four corners. They definitely have taken a beating and I drag them over everything without worry.
It is a PITA to get the LCAs out without a lift. Still trying to get the rears out to change the bushings.

Short answer, happy to have them.
Thanks, man. Sounds like all the brands cause issues removing the CAs

Top Bottom