Weird suspension feeling after installing lift

aes256

Hi y'all

This is my first post, although I've been reading many posts here for months.
I have the 2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (auto transmission), and I installed the Mopar 2 inch lift by myself.

After installed, I feel some suspension characteristic changed, and I'm not sure if this is expected or not. To describe the behavior:

1. Start the engine.
2. Foot still on brake
3. Shift to drive gear.
Then I can feel the rear suspension will elevate a little bit. While on my other JL(without lift), this elevation is minimal, but on the lifted Jeep, it's quite noticeable.

I'm wondering if this is expected consequence of the suspension geometry change. Anti-squat or something.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Did you tighten all the suspension bolts while it was up on Jacks.... or let it down on the ground first.... then tighten to torque specs?

aes256

Did you tighten all the suspension bolts while it was up on Jacks.... or let it down on the ground first.... then tighten to torque specs?
Don't remember exactly, but I'm not comfortable to go underneath the vehicle when it's on jack stands.. most likely torqued them with wheels on ground. I'll probably re-torque them again to make sure.

Were you suggesting it might be caused by the binding? Would it causing problem if they are torqued on jacks?

Plus, I remember one bolt had to be tightened while the wheel off - RCA to axle. It's completed covered by the wheel

JimLee

Hooked
Most of your aftermarket lift springs are going to be longer, have two or more spring rates, and have a softer feel at the top (extended) end than stock. I don't think you have a problem at all, but it never hurts to recheck your torque on things. Next thing you will probably notice is that it feels a little more "floaty" on the road, depending on the lift/springs, this too is normal with a lot of lifts.

4PLAY

When you re-torque, be sure you are on a level floor, loosen all control arm / shock bolts first and bounce bumpers up and down to settle suspension. You do not have to remove the rear wheels to torque rear UCA but you will have to remove or slide out of the way the rear axle mounted bump stop brackets. Don't forget to re-center your steering wheel! Good luck!

Top Bottom