VIDEO : GOLD DUST Part 2 - NITTO JKX / Rockin the Rubicon

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video! It really is a bucket list trail for most people and Deff on mine!

Guessing 37:52 for the next one.

Definitely a trail every Jeep has to run at least once :yup:

I definitely did some extra on this trip! Which reminds me, I have some maintenance to get to...

Yeah, I still need to get Moby down to Motech. Just have so much to do :icon_crazy:

So it looks like Mel broke the actual ball joint on the drag link right?

Supposedly they use 30mm 1 1/2 ton ball joints.

Curious if anyone knows what size ball joints are in stronger drag links?

The ball joints are HUGE but the tapered studs are tiny. That's where it broke. I've seen plenty of trashed drag links over the years but this is the first time I've seen one break like this. Of course, replacement tie-rod ends cost about the same as a brand new drag link :naw:

mattfl

Definitely a trail every Jeep has to run at least once :yup:

The ball joints are HUGE but the tapered studs are tiny. That's where it broke. I've seen plenty of trashed drag links over the years but this is the first time I've seen one break like this. Of course, replacement tie-rod ends cost about the same as a brand new drag link :naw:

Fair enough, thanks for the reply!

Benito

Caught the Bug

I wonder if it was one of there “no drill” draglink flip models. They had claims that those were were stronger than other products that you drill and insert a sleeve. I had my doubts.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I wonder if it was one of there “no drill” draglink flip models. They had claims that those were were stronger than other products that you drill and insert a sleeve. I had my doubts.

I was wondering the same thing. Without seeing them side by side, I suspect that the no drill one is weaker.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I was wondering the same thing. Without seeing them side by side, I suspect that the no drill one is weaker.

Your assumption is correct and like you, I've always had my doubts. Proof is in the broken tie-rod end. I'll stick with Synergy.

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
Loved the video as always. I want to do the Rubicon but I dont know if it would be that much fun in a cj5 on 33s with a lunch box locker in the rear only. You guys make it look so easy with Moby.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

Great video!! I know it was tough getting alot of video at the speed we were moving.
Part 3 should be interesting.... look forward to seeing that. Thanks for all the hard work yall put in so that way I can relive the experience again. 👍🏿

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Loved the video as always. I want to do the Rubicon but I dont know if it would be that much fun in a cj5 on 33s with a lunch box locker in the rear only. You guys make it look so easy with Moby.

It would be exhausting and you would just have to take much different lines but I've seen it be done.

Great video!! I know it was tough getting alot of video at the speed we were moving.
Part 3 should be interesting.... look forward to seeing that. Thanks for all the hard work yall put in so that way I can relive the experience again. 👍🏿

LOL - Oh yeah, I know you were doing a lot of running around too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And the person who came the closest to the actual time of Part 3 is...

Awesome video! It really is a bucket list trail for most people and Deff on mine!

Guessing 37:52 for the next one.

Congratulations my friend! :thumb:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Got caught up with both part 2 and 3. Looks like such a great time. Like always, thank you for sharing your adventures!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Crazy how many bears have been seen at the springs the last couple years. The trail is also as easy as it looked. Another good video and bummed I didn’t get to run it and camp with you guys this year. Maybe next year year.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got caught up with both part 2 and 3. Looks like such a great time. Like always, thank you for sharing your adventures!

Thanks! So glad you enjoyed it :)

Crazy how many bears have been seen at the springs the last couple years. The trail is also as easy as it looked. Another good video and bummed I didn’t get to run it and camp with you guys this year. Maybe next year year.

As you know, I've been doing this a long time and it seems like it's only been in the last few years that bears have been an issue. Never seen or heard of them in the past or at least, not at the springs. The Jamborees really did a number on the trail and not in a good way. Hopefully, the winter will be able to fix that and hoping we can hit the con with you next year.

CalSgt

Hooked
Thanks! So glad you enjoyed it :)

As you know, I've been doing this a long time and it seems like it's only been in the last few years that bears have been an issue. Never seen or heard of them in the past or at least, not at the springs. The Jamborees really did a number on the trail and not in a good way. Hopefully, the winter will be able to fix that and hoping we can hit the con with you next year.

In 2012 CA banned the use of dogs for bear hunting because it is allegedly inhumane, the bear population has been steadily increasing each year since. Bear hunters used to call into a hotline each day to find out if the tag quota had been filled and the season halted, I haven't heard anyone say the quota has been filled since the ban.

We are seeing a lot more of them in my neck of the Sierra's too.

Top Bottom