VIDEO : A Random Point on a Paper Map

When I was growing up we used lots of paper maps. My dad had a lot of topo maps for the Anza Borrego area in California and the surrounding areas. Every weekend he would choose a destination and take us out in his Buick or Cadillac down roads more suitable for Jeeps. We would go until the road humped too high or it looked like we might not be strong enough to get the car unstuck from the sand. The hiking was almost always off any sort of trail such as across the open desert or up a dry wash to the top of a mountain.

My dad passed away two months ago. The funeral was a reflection on how unusual our family was, and how many adventures we had. Much of that was due to our dad.

Samsolo

Way before GPS, Google Earth or iPhones and Android devices with fancy trail apps like Gaia or On X Off, my dad and I used to explore places like the Mojave Desert using a paper map and a compass. In fact, it's how Cindy and I continued to explore just about everywhere we could and for years and years as well. In this video, you'll get to see one of the very first places we visited, soon after getting our very first Jeep. And, so that it isn't missed, this video is sponsored by Nord VPN.

HOLIDAY SEASON DEAL! Go to https://nordvpn.com/wayalife to get 73% off a two year plan plus one additional month FREE! That's just $3.16 per month!

MERRY CHIRSTMAS! 🎄🎅
Your dad has to be so proud of you! it seems like your parents raised a great son. Id like to hear more stories about your childhood, i think that would be fun! Did you guys explore in a jeep? what kind of vehicle did these adventures take place in?

Top Bottom