Unit Bearing Q?

ChicoJoshua

So I guess that 1300mile/20hr round trip to the '22 NY Run(which was amazing!) was just a bit much for my unit bearings to bear(get it?). Made it home but they weren't happy about it... I've searched and I'm not finding whether the set that's in the WOL Amazon store is the same as the Timken that's linked in the write-up? Is one better than the other(the timkens are a bit more $ but not crazy). Is there no high spec aftermarket available? TIA for any insights!

dyn0mitemat

I remember hearing rumors years ago about about being able to get tooling to disassemble and repair the unit bearings, but for how cheap they are (vs the 1ton stuff where a 06SD one will run $400+) I’d just go for new.
I always ran upto Summit (local) and had good luck with whatever they had on the shelf, but I know availability with the way it is recently I’d go with the Spicer stuff Disciple has if you can wait for shipping

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I have seen several unit bearings presumably from different companies (e.g., Moog, Mopar, ect.) and they all: 1) have the same hallmarks associated with the plant of manufacture - making me wonder if, regardless of what you buy, they are all the same UB produced at the same factory in South Korea and then just priced differently; and 2) do not supply wheel speed sensors with wiring long enough for our Jeeps causing you to need to use your old wheel speed sensor or purchase a new Mopar one.

Based on these observations, I just bought the cheapest ones I could find and reused my original wheel speed sensor. So, you might want to start sparking your WSS bolts down now with WD40 and then spray the actual sensor before trying to remove it as they break easily... Just my two cents! Good luck!

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Not sure how true, but when I was looking around for unit bearings, some reviews were saying that the wires were often much shorter than stock and had to be extended on aftermarket stuff. Apparently Spicer was factory length from what I remember. Don’t quote me on any of that but something to look for as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The speed sensor is shorter on a lot of these unit bearings but it's not the end of the world. You just need to NOT route it the same way as factory. You can go behind the frame rail and still have PLENTY of line to work with :)

Top Bottom