TSB 08-074-20....steering

DaveL

Exactly. There is no way that the TSB doesn’t say “refer to doc xxxxxxx for alignment times”. Every GM steering or suspension component I do at work has that at the end of the repair sheet.

When mine was done there was a great improvement. Not perfect....but much better

They didn't do an alignment. However, the steering wheel was centred. They had removed one or both of the front wheels. They said to return in 100 km so they could retorque the lugnuts.

I *think* that the gap left on centre could be adjusted out. However, I don't want to take a chance on spinning the big wheel to have another steering box installed.

jeeeep

Hooked
Finally got the call that parts were in and dropped it off this morning, the TSB indicates a less than 3 hour repair but they've had it 9 hours now...:thinking:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Finally got the call that parts were in and dropped it off this morning, the TSB indicates a less than 3 hour repair but they've had it 9 hours now...:thinking:

Since it was dropped off it prob just got thrown into the rotation. My shop prioritizes waiter vehicles then drop offs. Sometimes those waiter oil change jobs turn into way bigger jobs for the techs.

jeeeep

Hooked
Since it was dropped off it prob just got thrown into the rotation. My shop prioritizes waiter vehicles then drop offs. Sometimes those waiter oil change jobs turn into way bigger jobs for the techs.

that's what I was told and because I dropped it off it didn't get done until end of day the next day - I should've waited for it :mad:

but it's done and took about 3months for the part to get in stock.

Picked it up last night and the initial impression was it feels tighter, like my 2015 Sport. it's a huge positive difference in how it handles.

This morning i took it out on the freeway for some high speed testing and it was a wind advisory day. :thumb:

Usually I would be fighting the wind and the steering but it stayed straight, no more pull to one side and the wind had a more normal affect on the Jeep. In the past, every wind gust would have had me over correcting because the steering was also favoring to one side.

I see fluid around the fittings and it could be from the install (no cleanup) but after wiping it off this morning and checking it when I got home, it looks like it may still be leaking.

I'll take it back to the dealer to check/tighten, I don't want them accusing me in the event they cross-threaded the fittings.

I'm happy it made such a difference :thumb:

Had some noise while driving, thought it was just the wind... nope, service techs did not put all the screws and plastic pins back into the wheel well liner - it's flapping around :doh:

Last edited:

DaveL

that's what I was told and because I dropped it off it didn't get done until end of day the next day - I should've waited for it :mad:

but it's done and took about 3months for the part to get in stock.

Picked it up last night and the initial impression was it feels tighter, like my 2015 Sport. it's a huge positive difference in how it handles.

This morning i took it out on the freeway for some high speed testing and it was a wind advisory day. :thumb:

Usually I would be fighting the wind and the steering but it stayed straight, no more pull to one side and the wind had a more normal affect on the Jeep. In the past, every wind gust would have had me over correcting because the steering was also favoring to one side.

I see fluid around the fittings and it could be from the install (no cleanup) but after wiping it off this morning and checking it when I got home, it looks like it may still be leaking.

I'll take it back to the dealer to check/tighten, I don't want them accusing me in the event they cross-threaded the fittings.

I'm happy it made such a difference :thumb:

Had some noise while driving, thought it was just the wind... nope, service techs did not put all the screws and plastic pins back into the wheel well liner - it's flapping around :doh:

Congratulations! Well done. Now your Jeep handles like it should have from the Factory.

Ours does too. (I posted the tsb to start this thread.)

DMF

I take everything back when I said I couldn't feel the difference after they replace mine. After taking the jeep on a long drive, it's definitely a big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bkac

Caught the Bug
I had mine replaced on Thursday of last week and it’s a night and day difference. I’m happy to report that my jeep drives so much easier and no more chasing the wheel on the highway at 65. I highly recommend this steering box replacement.

IMG_4349.jpg

Out with the old box
IMG_4347.jpg

In with the new one
IMG_4350.jpg

Buckeyedave

I had mine replaced on Thursday of last week and it’s a night and day difference. I’m happy to report that my jeep drives so much easier and no more chasing the wheel on the highway at 65. I highly recommend this steering box replacement.

View attachment 357697

Out with the old box
View attachment 357698

In with the new one
View attachment 357699

Was this covered under warranty for you? FCA
denied me and flagged my Jeep, because I changed out all of the steering components. Now every dealer I try to do this TSB for me says when they enter my VIN, it throws up a red flag and tells them that they cant order the steering box for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Just picked mine up from the dealer. Parts are on long term backorder so it’s gonna be a while. In case anyone cares, the TSB number updated to 08-003-21 and now includes an alignment after the install.

JKbrick

Just picked mine up from the dealer. Parts are on long term backorder so it’s gonna be a while. In case anyone cares, the TSB number updated to 08-003-21 and now includes an alignment after the install.

Lol, my sons got done today and the steering wheel is a little off, wtf? Do they not drive them afterwards? That’s like me doing a job and leaving a fitting with a slight drip [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Lol, my sons got done today and the steering wheel is a little off, wtf? Do they not drive them afterwards? That’s like me doing a job and leaving a fitting with a slight drip [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah I’m not a fan of dealers work but if they’re willing to replace expensive parts for free, I’ll chance it.

bkac

Caught the Bug
denied me and flagged my Jeep, because I changed out all of the steering components. Now every dealer I try to do this TSB for me says when they enter my VIN, it throws up a red flag and tells them that they cant order the steering box for me.

Yes they did it under warranty. No issues or flags. Sorry that happened to you.

4PLAY

Does anyone have a copy of TSB 08-003-21? Curious as why they completely changed the TSB number instead of just a revision "D,E, etc' as they have done in the past...

jeeeep

Hooked

What steering components did you change? I have the synergy trackbar and sector shaft brace and the dealer took care of mine no issues.

If you want to order the gear box (bolts and pitman nut are separate), not sure if there was a flash system after the swap :thinking:

stevewhiteparts Power Steering Gear - Mopar (68507569aa)

https://tinyurl.com/y2mr9kqq

Buckeyedave

What steering components did you change? I have the synergy trackbar and sector shaft brace and the dealer took care of mine no issues.

If you want to order the gear box (bolts and pitman nut are separate), not sure if there was a flash system after the swap :thinking:

stevewhiteparts Power Steering Gear - Mopar (68507569aa)

https://tinyurl.com/y2mr9kqq

I changed out the front trackbar, draglink and tie rod with Steersmarts, the Synergy Sector Shaft brace and a Fox SS. The dealer called my Jeep “heavily modified”.
I just reopened a case with Jeep Cares, because someone told me to look into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I looked at it, and the way it reads, the dealer would have to change out the steering gear. We shall see.

Top Bottom