Torque Converter or Transmission?

run2jeepn

Caught the Bug
So I've been getting a Vibration "like rumble strips" Only happens once the transmission is warmed up over 80*. Also only happens around 40-60mph at low RPMS. 99% of the time is does in 4th gear at or below 2k RPMS.

I called 2 Shops that are well known around here. 1st was a Transmission Shop. He told me that the Torque Converters are rare to go out and they don't just swap out Torque Converters. Suggested that my clutches for 3rd gear wore wearing out. Said I needed a whole new Transmission. $2200 to replace.

Called another Shop that Specializes in JK Jeeps. He also stated that the Torque Convertors are rare to go out.

As anyone else just replaced the Torque Converter and not the whole Transmission?

I've drained the transmission and replaced the Filter about 1500 miles ago. I also added 2 tubes of Dr. Tranny.

2011 3.8L 42rle

zimm

Caught the Bug
Don't see how the torque converter can make a rumble- it's a couple of impellers turning in fluid. First shop sounds like they want to sell you a transmission job. I would have a reputable shop do a test drive- too many things it could be.

A.J.

1. How did the fluid look when you drained it?
2. Did the problem exist before you serviced it?
3. Have you checked other things like pinion bearing, Drive shaft?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A TC will give you a rubble stripe like shutter. It’s the internal clutch slipping and not fully locking up.
IMG_1009.JPG

I know at work (work for a GM dealer) we replace a lot of 6L80 trans torque converters. They are known for the internal clutch failing. Depending on how bad the failure is we will replace the front pump as well.

So yes you can replace just the converter.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I didn't think about the lock up clutch in the TC. Didn't realize our JK's had them.

run2jeepn

Caught the Bug
I've got a 42rle with a converter sitting in the garage. You can have it if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

There Cheap enough and to much work to put in a used one, but Thank you for the offer.

1. How did the fluid look when you drained it?
2. Did the problem exist before you serviced it?
3. Have you checked other things like pinion bearing, Drive shaft?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

1. Looked good, no smells, No metal shavings, but one of the bolts that hold on the filter dropped out and was sitting in the pan and filter was just hanging by 1 bolt and not actually in place.

2. Yep

3. I have a little. I didn't see any play in the Drivehaft or joints. I didn't check pinion bearing, but would think it would show when checking the driveshaft. I didn't check the Transmission mount.

I found the 2nd owner of the Jeep. I'm the 4th and the 3rd guy only put 1,500 miles on it. The 2nd owner had it for a years. He had overheating issues with the Trans and when he traded it in it was throwing codes. But it hasn't thrown any codes and my trans temp havne't gone over 145, but it is winter.

Out of all these all I get is the Shuddering. It's never slipped out of gear, delayed shifting, normal sounds etc....

Symptoms of Torque Converter Problems
Slipping. A torque converter can slip out of gear or delay a shift its fin or bearing is damaged. ...
Overheating. ...
Contaminated Transmission Fluid. ...
Shuddering. ...
Increased Stall Speed. ...
Unusual Sounds.

There Cheap enough and to much work to put in a used one, but Thank you for the offer.

1. Looked good, no smells, No metal shavings, but one of the bolts that hold on the filter dropped out and was sitting in the pan and filter was just hanging by 1 bolt and not actually in place.

2. Yep

3. I have a little. I didn't see any play in the Drivehaft or joints. I didn't check pinion bearing, but would think it would show when checking the driveshaft. I didn't check the Transmission mount.

I found the 2nd owner of the Jeep. I'm the 4th and the 3rd guy only put 1,500 miles on it. The 2nd owner had it for a years. He had overheating issues with the Trans and when he traded it in it was throwing codes. But it hasn't thrown any codes and my trans temp havne't gone over 145, but it is winter.

Out of all these all I get is the Shuddering. It's never slipped out of gear, delayed shifting, normal sounds etc....

Symptoms of Torque Converter Problems
Slipping. A torque converter can slip out of gear or delay a shift its fin or bearing is damaged. ...
Overheating. ...
Contaminated Transmission Fluid. ...
Shuddering. ...
Increased Stall Speed. ...
Unusual Sounds.

You seem to be going into an awful lot of depth and work if it’s cheap enough to put a new one in.
I would’ve jumped at the offer for a known good unit personally.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

run2jeepn

Caught the Bug
You seem to be going into an awful lot of depth and work if it’s cheap enough to put a new one in.
I would’ve jumped at the offer for a known good unit personally.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Not being ungrateful at all, but I thought I was thinking it was just the Torque Converter. I wouldn't want to pull the tranny to just put in a used Torque Converter. I'm not against a good used trans thou.

A.J.

2. Yep

Sounds like the dealer serviced it and shipped it. Might want to jump on the used trans offer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom