Thrust angle question

JudeinPa

I have been having a wandering problem with my JK since last November. It started right after installing a set of new Synergy HD ball joints.
it settled down a little but is still wandering. Measuring my caster with a angle finder noticed that my passenger side ball joint is 4.5 degrees and my driver side ball joint is about 5.5 degrees. I am starting to think that I need to adjust the driver side control arm to have it match up. When I installed the control arms I did measure and also checked that I turned them out the same amount of turns.
I do have all new unit bearings as well as heavy duty trackbar, drag bar and tie rod.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Maybe the balljoints are just tight because they are new… you could try removing the steering stabilizer for a while until things loosen up. Also check your Toe.. you should be toed in 1/16 to 1/8.

JudeinPa

Maybe the balljoints are just tight because they are new… you could try removing the steering stabilizer for a while until things loosen up. Also check your Toe.. you should be toed in 1/16 to 1/8.
I went over my alignment over the weekend and it was 1/16” toe in. I decided to adjust my driver’s side control arm back 1 turn. Before I did I remeasured the top of the ball joints and the driver side was actually at 7.5 to 8 degrees and the passenger side was at 5.5 degrees.
after moving the driver side 1 turn and tightening up the bolt I took it for a short test drive and it was like night and day. Both ball joints are at 6 degrees and the pinion angle is at 0.
My last thing I need to do is make a small adjustment on the steering box to take out some play in the steering wheel.
Can’t figure out why my front axle is off that much and why it showed up after installing the new ball joints?
I drove it for over 3,000 miles with the front axle being out of square.

Top Bottom