The Truth on Rubicon Take-Offs

Gobi2DR

Good Morning,
I have read numerous forums on chasing down the “Perfect” Matched Rubicon Take-Off Springs and Shocks and discussed all my great finding with my local “4x4 shop” owner who was gonna do the install for me on my 2022 2 DR Sport. He stopped me to tell me that my Finding were ALL Wrong... “It’s widely misrepresented online and at forums”

-He seems very knowledgeable and said he has been in business for over 18 years and has done/worked on over 1000 Jeep Suspensions.

I told him I was on the Hunt for a set of Rubicon “Take off” springs and shocks but not sure how to find the perfect pair since there are SO Many different versions of them based on how the “Donor” factory Rubicon was equipped.
I mentioned for example if it had metal bumpers or if it came with a tow package, engine type, Etc and the Rubicon would have longer springs because of the extra factory equipment/ weight.

He Said that is absolutely BS and the Forums are ALL wrong. He said do you actually think jeep would have SO many variations in Springs & Shocks based on if you got a Steel bumper, hard top, tow pkg, Etc…he said it’s absolutely ludicrous . They make ONE set of springs & Shocks for a Rubicon and One Set for a Sport..Etc.

**He said yes taking off Factory Rubicon springs & shocks would give you 1/2-1 Inch lift and just better than the sport springs/shocks and it doesn’t matter what Rubicon you take it off, they are ALL the same”.

I have a 2022 2 Door Sport that I was initially looking to find a set of off Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks, but it got too complicated so I decided to than just do a 2 Inch Spacer lift and keep ALL the OEM springs and shocks on the Sport.

The shop owner just took off a set of 2022 Rubicon shocks & Springs and said I could have them for free because he throws them all away usually.

Having Zero Jeep suspension experience and talking to a guy that has done suspension work on over 1000 jeeps, what do you guys think? ALL the forums on ALL these different possibilities /configurations of Take off springs/shocks wrong?

**Also, to add one more layer, my local 4 Wheel Parts shop said, when the install aftermarket springs and shocks, they don’t ask/care if it has steel bummer or tow package, Etc. …meaning they are not gonna give you a different set of springs based on how your jeep was configured.

look forward to any feedback.

black pearl

Hooked
If I remember right the only spring differences are between the two door and four door and that’s only for the rear springs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - so, I would never pretend to know as much as your shop and their 18 years of installing lifts but this is what I can tell you…

some of what he’s saying is true - a LOT of what you read on the internet is BS and the amount of lift you get out of a Rubicon suspension system isn’t nearly as much as some would claim. That said and last I checked, there are something like 22 different part numbers just for coils. All 4 corners are 100% different and you can verify this for yourself as OverlanderJK said. I own a Sport and a Rubicon and can tell you the part numbers ARE different as well.

For the most lift, you want Rubicon coils from a 4-door but really, I might recommend just installing a Rancho Sport lift.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
LOL - so, I would never pretend to know as much as your shop and their 18 years of installing lifts but this is what I can tell you…

some of what he’s saying is true - a LOT of what you read on the internet is BS and the amount of lift you get out of a Rubicon suspension system isn’t nearly as much as some would claim. That said and last I checked, there are something like 22 different part numbers just for coils. All 4 corners are 100% different and you can verify this for yourself as OverlanderJK said. I own a Sport and a Rubicon and can tell you the part numbers ARE different as well.

For the most lift, you want Rubicon coils from a 4-door but really, I might recommend just installing a Rancho Sport lift.
Or a 392.

kevman65

Hooked
Yeah right. Passenger side springs are longer than driver side. But there's no difference.
Not to mention the multiple different part numbers just for Rubi springs.

Now, is it worth it chasing Rubi springs for a "lift", not really. Want to get just a skosh more room to run the next bigger tire, YUP.

I know things are different for the JL since you have 4 door and 2 door variants, but on the JT the only real advantage is they give you almost 1" more room. But without the shocks that are matched to the Rubi springs, you're not getting the same ride.

If you can get Rubi takeoffs for free, go for it, if you're paying for them, go get the Synergy +1" springs and you'll be happier.

Gobi2DR

Thank you for the qu

Thank you for the quick response…so would you add the take-off Rubi Springs & Shocks (Not sure exactly what configuration 4 DR Rubicon they came off) and add a 2 Inch Spacer or just keep ALL the original springs and shocks on the Sport 2 Door and ONLY add the new 2 Inch Spacer lift?
and is there a Spacer lift you recommend? Iron Rock? Rubicon Express?

Top Bottom