The Jeep Trail Rayed Kit - Recovery Strap Rating

AZDIESELPIG

So my JL came with a fancy red bad with a recovery strap. There really is no info on this strap other than not to exceed 14,500 pounds and a SWL rating of 933KG. MOPAR says the strap has 18,000 lbs of tensile strength...

The SWL rating seems low - but maybe that's just the weight if you are lifting/hoisting something?

I am trusting FCA to include a tow strap rated for a Jeep...right? :D

Attachments

• 20230512_111148.jpg
    20230512_111148.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 20
So my JL came with a fancy red bad with a recovery strap. There really is no info on this strap other than not to exceed 14,500 pounds and a SWL rating of 933KG. MOPAR says the strap has 18,000 lbs of tensile strength...

The SWL rating seems low - but maybe that's just the weight if you are lifting/hoisting something?

I am trusting FCA to include a tow strap rated for a Jeep...right? :D
They provided the recovery strap for your JL because it is known to be a bad model year and you are going to need it!

CalSgt

Hooked
SO is it even good for towing a rig off the trail?

Sure... I wouldn't use it like a yank rope (kinetic type) but to pull someone along the trail its probably fine, use a winch to assist over larger obstacles. Looks like it says Warn on it its probably a decent product.

kevman65

Hooked
SO is it even good for towing a rig off the trail?
I can't answer that question. I can give you the straight up information from the tag you took a picture of.

First off, the CE mark on it marks it certified in Europe.

Secondly, SWL (Safe Work Load) is the same thing as WLL (Working Load Limit) most newer straps have dropped the SWL.
That number is a given, it's listed on the strap. The other given is you multiply THAT number X 3 and that is the breaking limit of that strap.

I don't know how Warn or Jeep or anyone else can qualify that strap at a higher number.

Now, all those numbers are for a vertical load, where weight is constant and gravity is constant. On the trail you're not picking anything up, BUT the additional forces that can come into play multiply the weight load being carried by the strap. You have friction, overcoming obstacles, gravity working for and/or against you while the other various multipliers are added in.

So, use it until breaks, then cut both ends off and trash it.

To be honest, if you want a strap safe for the forces you might be dealing with, you want a minimum 3" wide X 4 ply (layers). Those ain't cheap.

One more thing, that is NOT a snatch strap, shock load it and it may very well break.

But ANY strap you buy that has a WLL or SWL number on it, multiply it X 3 and that's the breaking limit.

AZDIESELPIG

Sure... I wouldn't use it like a yank rope (kinetic type) but to pull someone along the trail its probably fine, use a winch to assist over larger obstacles. Looks like it says Warn on it its probably a decent product.
I can't answer that question. I can give you the straight up information from the tag you took a picture of.

First off, the CE mark on it marks it certified in Europe.

Secondly, SWL (Safe Work Load) is the same thing as WLL (Working Load Limit) most newer straps have dropped the SWL.
That number is a given, it's listed on the strap. The other given is you multiply THAT number X 3 and that is the breaking limit of that strap.

I don't know how Warn or Jeep or anyone else can qualify that strap at a higher number.

Now, all those numbers are for a vertical load, where weight is constant and gravity is constant. On the trail you're not picking anything up, BUT the additional forces that can come into play multiply the weight load being carried by the strap. You have friction, overcoming obstacles, gravity working for and/or against you while the other various multipliers are added in.

So, use it until breaks, then cut both ends off and trash it.

To be honest, if you want a strap safe for the forces you might be dealing with, you want a minimum 3" wide X 4 ply (layers). Those ain't cheap.

One more thing, that is NOT a snatch strap, shock load it and it may very well break.

But ANY strap you buy that has a WLL or SWL number on it, multiply it X 3 and that's the breaking limit.

Thanks for the information gentleman. I have a bubba rope for kinetic type pulls. I also have a another 2" strap that has a working load limit of 20,000 lbs. I also have a 4in strap that I keep in my F350 - I used a similar strap when I had my JK.

I guess I will see how the "Jeep" branded strap does.

Top Bottom