The build of Balder

Sgt_USMC

Changed the transmission fluid and filter, and did an oil change. Couldn’t do the tcase, so that will wait until I get to Florida. All that’s left is rotate/balance at DT, OPDA, and registration. Then hit the road on Friday.

Sgt_USMC

I was pleasantly surprised when I dropped the trans pan and the fluid looked very good! The magnet in the pan had nothing worth commenting about. That tells me there is no abnormal wear or problems! I’m looking into adding a Derale trans cooler while I’m in Fl just to help the trans stay in this condition for the long term.

Sgt_USMC

Got the tires rotated/balanced and paid the god awful registration. I still need to do the OPDA before I head out.

Sgt_USMC

Not feeling very good today, but managed to get the OPDA swapped out. That marks the end of the maintenance phase. While I’m in Fl I’ll be looking into a couple mods to start off the real fun!

Sgt_USMC

So yea, after talking to a doc today it looks like I may have fractured a bone in my hand. Just my luck! The wrench slipped off the hold down bolt for the opda and I slammed my hand into the alternator hard. I can’t hardly lift anything with that hand and can’t make a fist without severe pain. I still got the inside cleaned very well for the wife and packed all my tools in it despite the pain. Just have to toss the luggage, a small cooler and then hit the road tomorrow.

black pearl

Hooked
So yea, after talking to a doc today it looks like I may have fractured a bone in my hand. Just my luck! The wrench slipped off the hold down bolt for the opda and I slammed my hand into the alternator hard. I can’t hardly lift anything with that hand and can’t make a fist without severe pain. I still got the inside cleaned very well for the wife and packed all my tools in it despite the pain. Just have to toss the luggage, a small cooler and then hit the road tomorrow.
That sucks man! Hopefully it doesn’t bother you too much on the road.

Sgt_USMC

Thanks, I don’t foresee it giving me too much of a problem unless I go on autopilot and grab the emergency brake with my right hand.

Sgt_USMC

Day 2 is done. Not as hot today, but still a lot of miles. Made it to Van Horn Tx. Going to be leaving pretty early, for a few reasons. Cruised around 80 today, and found that if I keep the RPMs around 2500 I get pretty decent mileage even with the Jeep loaded down. Was getting around 16-17 for the most part. It isn’t like the close to 20 MPG that we get in her liberty, but I’ll take it for a 16 year old brick with wheels! 🤣

Sgt_USMC

Day 3 done. Made it to our friends house in Georgetown Tx. LONG day. Around 433 miles. Just one more stop and this cross country exodus will be done for now. Eventually I have to go back to ca. 😔

Sgt_USMC

Day 4 is in the books! Left Georgetown Tx around 8:30, and pulled into the hotel in New Orleans at 6:30. 518 miles today. Not much further now!

Sgt_USMC

Yep! I planned to cruise around 65-70 the whole way, but have been keeping it around 75-80. Only have a short 4 hour hop tomorrow and this trek will be completed, for now. We are planning to take our time when it comes time for me to head home. See the sights instead of just being on a tight schedule and just drive past them. Museums, sights, landmarks. He enjoy history deeply and enjoy learning when ever we can.

Sgt_USMC

I had a nice sight in Tx. Two nicely built JLs. Looked like they were sitting on 40s. One was Tuscadero with matching rings on the bead locks, the other was all blacked out. Both had hitch cargo carriers with coolers, and were just jamming down the freeway.

Last edited:

Sgt_USMC

So fun stuff has continued. It felt a little sluggish today, and when I got back to the house I smelled something odd. I got out and checked things out to find that my p/s rear caliper is grabbing. I knew the rubber lines would need changing in the next year or so, but now it’s at the top of the list. I’ll put a parts store one on while I save up for pads, rotors and calipers from black magic brakes. I’ll also put on all new brakes lines when I do them.

Sgt_USMC

Finally got around to ordering brake lines. I’m replacing all 5 of the rubber lines. Going stock for the rears, and extended for the fronts so I don’t have to do them again later on.

bmkrinne

Finally got around to ordering brake lines. I’m replacing all 5 of the rubber lines. Going stock for the rears, and extended for the fronts so I don’t have to do them again later on.
I had to replace all of the rubber brake lines on my 05 F250 in the last few years. I think the rubber lines have a finite service life, at which time they shit the bed!

Top Bottom